Collapse
Torrentech Radio is currently offline.
The radio is currently offline · No scheduled sets...
Schedule · DJ-s · Stats

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Josh Winiberg - Fairytale, TT032 / FLAC / Lossless
Rating 5 V
Onlinepyc
post 27. May 2010, 23:25
Post #1

good cop

Group: Evil Admin
Member No.: 4
Ratio: 9.47

Artist: Josh Winiberg
Album: Fairytale
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/2294218
Label: Torrentech
Catalog#: TT032
Released: 2010-05-28
Style: Ambient / Downtempo / Tech House

Tracklist:
01. Blocster (6:00)
02. Frühling (4:38)
03. Re-Drum - Cyan (Josh Winiberg Dark Winter Remix) (6:31)
04. Fairytale (6:07)
05. Frühling (Re-Drum Remix) (5:52)

Review:
Ambiental music with a rhythmic background is maybe what best describes the Fairytale album by Josh Winiberg. Oboe in 2nd track Frühling sounds almost like Classical piece, but still not lacking electronic moments. This music is thoughtful, deep, joyful and relaxing. Definitely very well worth spending some bandwidth and time.

Message from author:
I first began Fairytale a couple of years back, when I first began producing seriously (the tracks are older than Game Over). It was written over the course of a year, when I first moved to Berlin, then continued in Salzburg... New love and new places are the inspiration and motivation, as well as a fascination with the newly discover joy of production.

Since the pieces were written quite a while back, I spent a long time going over them, trying to get a tidier production. But the pieces were a kind of house of cards, and the balance of imbalances held them together. The better I made them, the worse they got. So I've decided to leave the album almost as it was written originally, apart from a few slight changes. Sometimes we have to know when to accept past works for what they are and to leave them be.

The only newer tracks are the collaborations with Re-Drum, who I enjoy working with very much. The album features the Cyan remix I did from his album Colours, as well as a new remix from him. We're working on a collaboration album right now, when we both find the time between our own projects, and I'm very excited about what the future brings! So watch this space.

Thanks for listening - I hope you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed making it.

Attached File  TT032_FRONT.jpg
( Size: 83.46K ) Number of downloads: 54

Attached File  TT032_BACK.jpg
( Size: 85.78K ) Number of downloads: 31

Download torrent as text file  Attached File  TT032___Josh_Winiberg___Fairytale.rar.torrent
( Fullsize: 171.57MB, Seeders: 5, Leechers: 0, Completed: 409, Size: 13.69K ) Number of downloads: 458

Collapse

>Files

Size Filename
171.34MB TT032_-_Josh Winiberg_-_Fairytale.rar

This post has been checked by pyc: 15. Nov 2016, 21:52

--------------------
downloading - the basic human right. nothing less!
my tracks
dj mixes http downloads
dj mixes online streams
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 28. May 2010, 02:09
Post #2

Woobblarbalurg!

Group: VIPs
Member No.: 38,646
Ratio: 1.46

Cheers Pyc! Loving the amanita muscaria wink.gif

I have to say though, I really disagree that this is anywhere even near classical music. Just because it has some instrumental parts in smile.gif
+Quote Post
Onlinepyc
post 28. May 2010, 07:02
Post #3

good cop

..but that oboe melodies, especially the part from 3:00 is really reminding me of classic music... OK, but probably you're right: that's not enough to call a piece Modern Classical... Huh.... my mistake smile.gif You want me to fix it?

--------------------
my tracks
dj mixes http downloads
dj mixes online streams
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 28. May 2010, 11:29
Post #4

Woobblarbalurg!

If that's alright smile.gif
+Quote Post
Offlinetedor2
post 28. May 2010, 12:09
Post #5

n00b

Group: Low Ratio Members
Member No.: 25,384
Ratio: 0.09

hi Josh,

I like the album very much, the synth-sounds are very crisp.
I hope playing it loud with open windows will help to keep the good weather smile.gif

best
Krisztian

--------------------
I ♥ Torrentech!
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 01. Jun 2010, 03:05
Post #6

Woobblarbalurg!

QUOTE (tedor2 @ 28. May 2010, 13:09) *
hi Josh,

I like the album very much, the synth-sounds are very crisp.
I hope playing it loud with open windows will help to keep the good weather smile.gif

best
Krisztian

Thanks! I'm pleased you you like it...and if it's capable of performing miracles then that's even better.... wink.gif
+Quote Post
OfflineSubJunk
post 01. Jun 2010, 23:59
Post #7

n00b

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,184
Ratio: 0.41

Great work of art, Josh. I'm really enjoying it. Thanks

--------------------
I ♥ DnB & Trance
+Quote Post
OfflineGoirx
post 06. Jun 2010, 11:46
Post #8

In my world

Member No.: 56,861
Ratio: 2.42

Fairytale is very nice, good work !

--------------------
If you like my post, click on the thank button. =)
Some of my uploads are CCL licensed, just check the weblink to find out !
http://soundcloud.com/goirx
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 06. Jun 2010, 13:41
Post #9

Woobblarbalurg!

Thanks guys!
+Quote Post
Offlinetundi
post 06. Jun 2010, 13:51
Post #10

.tundilicious.

Member No.: 28,526
Ratio: 2.10

having just started playing Blocster and my mum asked me right away what i was listening to. which means she likes it smile.gif so do I! quality stuff Josh thanks.gif
+Quote Post
Offlinearistotel
post 09. Oct 2010, 11:47
Post #11

Freek

Group: Banned
Member No.: 60,881
Ratio: 10.65

thanks...and for free thanks to!

--------------------
Click here and support our DJ's! - always love.....always live
----------
Click for Torrentech @ LastFM & Myspace
+Quote Post
OfflineSerfos
post 17. Oct 2010, 18:53
Post #12

n00b

Member No.: 50,250
Ratio: ---

sounds great!

--------------------
I ♥ Torrentech!
------------------
http://radio.torrentech.org/listen.pls - always love.....always live
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 17. Oct 2010, 22:34
Post #13

Woobblarbalurg!

Cheers dears smile.gif
+Quote Post
OfflineIRMA
post 20. Oct 2010, 22:47
Post #14

Japanese Synthesizer

Member No.: 44,461
Ratio: 2.09

You just hit right that special ill part of ambient that I love, thank you!

--------------------
I listen to everything I upload here, and I upload it because at least one track is always worth it.
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 21. Oct 2010, 00:25
Post #15

Woobblarbalurg!

Thanks!

I'm actually re-programming Fairytale this very second...writing the whole album again in Ableton to bring the production up to scratch. I promised myself I'd let finished pieces stay finished, but I just can't help myself... I was such a n00b when I wrote this I really feel it needs doing properly (ie...taken out of Reason! biggrin.gif )
+Quote Post
OfflineIRMA
post 21. Oct 2010, 01:07
Post #16

Japanese Synthesizer

QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 21. Oct 2010, 01:25) *
ie...taken out of Reason!

I feel you... I have gone through it too for a few times smile.gif But not in such a massive measure! Good luck with that, looking forward to the sound! Not that this one would be of less than high quality, really enjoyed it, but you know what I mean..... smile.gif

--------------------
I listen to everything I upload here, and I upload it because at least one track is always worth it.
+Quote Post
Onlinepyc
post 21. Oct 2010, 06:08
Post #17

good cop

I think more or less every widely known tool lets you make professional audio, you just need knowledge. In that sense, I think Reason would be sufficient, and it's just a matter of preferences and how fast the workflow is. So I try to stick with Renoise which I believe is the best because it seems to me that this is the most natural program around. Actually, yesterday I bought my copy smile.gif Really, they deserved it. 58 EUR for such beauty is really not much. And it serves as a kind of must for me to get back into the production, I need it ...

--------------------
my tracks
dj mixes http downloads
dj mixes online streams
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 21. Oct 2010, 16:02
Post #18

Woobblarbalurg!

I agree that you can make pro music in anything, but the fact of the matter is how practical is it?

The workflow in Reason is interesting, but above all it's a gimick, which takes something really simple and makes it complicated and annoying to work with. The layout is quite simply, disgusting. Once you get more than about 15 instruments with loads of different automation, and all the spider splitters for sidechaining etc, the whole thing becomes nasty to work with. And trust me, I was pretty efficient with the way I worked, but it still eventually becomes a mess. When I looked at the Reason file for Fairytale again today, after working in Ableton, I really remembered why I gave it up.

Not to mention the lack of audio capabilities in Reason - everything has to be ReWired which is CPU intensive, and you need to edit the samples somewhere else. Mastering is a bitch because theres no multiband dynamics so you have to make everything even more messy by splitting it all up...it just makes easy tasks horrible to do. And any producer knows that impractical working situation hinders creativity because you have to focus on keeping everything tidy, or not running too much CPU etc.

I won't even start on the lack of VST capabilities...

Nope...I nearly finished reprogramming Fairytale yesterday and when I look at the Ableton file compared to the Reason file, I just breath a sigh of relief and think thank god I got away from that mess smile.gif

Sure some oldschool purists will say "well if you worked in studio you'd have to get use to that layout IRL"...but the fact is I don't have to. That's the joy of technology progressing.
+Quote Post
OfflineIRMA
post 21. Oct 2010, 19:56
Post #19

Japanese Synthesizer

Well, that is the biggest defect of reason, hand in hand with the fact, that all instruments and stuff are ordered vertically, instead of horizontally. I mean, what is the logic of using the shorter side of monitor? And the cables at the back would be better arranged and not lapping over each other, which I find at current state as false solution at all.
And editing samples is another missing thing. That will be always advantage of sequencers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineIRMA
post 21. Oct 2010, 21:07
Post #20

Japanese Synthesizer

But every program has slightly different sound. And when person is as lazy as I am to mix it properly, every track I export sounds crappy... But Cubase (and FL, from programs I know) produces sound of little higher quality than Reason when using barely no FXs to mix and master sounds.. I mean, sound of the track is still shitty, but now it doesn't stink that much smile.gif But of course, in every program you can master the quality as you wish...

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 19. Dec 2010, 07:21
Post #21

Woobblarbalurg!

Elpa Music just released a collection of remixes of the track Fairytale, which you can get here:

http://www.elpamusic.lv/
+Quote Post
Offlineludak021
post 20. Dec 2010, 04:17
Post #22

n00b

Member No.: 26,628
Ratio: 7.08

Great stuff. Only one remark: too much hi tones in cymbals. I have pretty bassy headphones now (senn. HD435) and hi tones pretty much pierce my ears, they are not unpleasant or distorted, I just fell there is too much highs in tracks (not all Re-Drum Cyan is the most noticeable)

but I really enjoy the stuff.

keep it up!

btw. hats down for this being done in Reason. I have been using trackers from the time of amiga, I went on to cubase on PC, tried Reason for a few days and for me it;s just a lot of pain in the ass. I wanted to do music, not wiring. Reactor can be pretty cool though.

--------------------
I ♥ Torrentech!
+Quote Post
Onlinepyc
post 20. Dec 2010, 06:44
Post #23

good cop

Renoise is a way to go if you want fast music programming... The best program around IMO (not that I'm much experienced with audio tools lately, though wink.gif

--------------------
my tracks
dj mixes http downloads
dj mixes online streams
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 20. Dec 2010, 07:26
Post #24

Woobblarbalurg!

QUOTE (ludak021 @ 20. Dec 2010, 04:17) *
Great stuff. Only one remark: too much hi tones in cymbals. I have pretty bassy headphones now (senn. HD435) and hi tones pretty much pierce my ears, they are not unpleasant or distorted, I just fell there is too much highs in tracks (not all Re-Drum Cyan is the most noticeable)

keep it up!

btw. hats down for this being done in Reason. I have been using trackers from the time of amiga, I went on to cubase on PC, tried Reason for a few days and for me it;s just a lot of pain in the ass. I wanted to do music, not wiring. Reactor can be pretty cool though.

Cheers smile.gif

This is my main criticism of this work as well. I started reprogramming Fairytale in Ableton, and with the knowledge of production I have now - two years after first writing it - and it's sounding much better. Also before I wasn't working with good headphones or monitors or anything...and in Reason wink.gif Anyway, the reprogrammed version sounds actually much better, but it loses a lot of it's character somehow. It starts to sound too clean and too nice...I kind of prefer this old version, with all its flaws and faults.

But maybe that's just me smile.gif

Thanks for listening and for the constructive feedback!
+Quote Post
Offlineludak021
post 20. Dec 2010, 08:40
Post #25

n00b

Member No.: 26,628
Ratio: 7.08

QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 20. Dec 2010, 07:26) *
QUOTE (ludak021 @ 20. Dec 2010, 04:17) *

keep it up!

Cheers smile.gif

This is my main criticism of this work as well. I started reprogramming Fairytale in Ableton, and with the knowledge of production I have now - two years after first writing it - and it's sounding much better. Also before I wasn't working with good headphones or monitors or anything...and in Reason wink.gif Anyway, the reprogrammed version sounds actually much better, but it loses a lot of it's character somehow. It starts to sound too clean and too nice...I kind of prefer this old version, with all its flaws and faults.

But maybe that's just me smile.gif

Thanks for listening and for the constructive feedback!

can't you just remaster in reason? I mean i know you have this transfer thing going on and all, and, album sounds great as it is, it;s just a minor setback and only if you listen to it on some good headphones. It;s no biggy really. smile.gif You made mellow cymbals, they sound cool, but have a tad-bit too much highs in them, like 0.7db, nothing serious, I managed to get them down with EQ, but you could get them on -7 aprox on just that separate sample. If you don't - no matter, still sounds cool wink.gif

keep it up wink.gif

edit: I might have been mislead about my headphone set. Yes, they are bassy ones, but since i got them break-in they seem to develop more and more hi range. I have been shuffling trough some tracks now and cymbals are definitely getting more pronounced, but stil in the case I mentioned, they seem dominant even over bass. Not much but a tad bit. Maybe it's just my headset...dunno. Other tracks (yours) sound fine.

edit: I don't know if this helps, but I tend to fine-tune my highs/cymbals on mettalica black album. Not techno, I know, but they are just fine and pleasantly balanced. Get unfogiven in FLAC, try it. Regular music can be a great help in these things. If I am not sure how sax should sound, I play some reference music, you know, get a feel for it, then tune it in the track.

--------------------
I ♥ Torrentech!
+Quote Post
Offlineikbenfreek
post 20. Dec 2010, 10:43
Post #26

n00b

Member No.: 63,256
Ratio: 1.32

Oh my, all this technical conversation. Don't know anything about the tools used to make this (I just own a bassguitar and amp, how old-fashioned wink.gif) but I do know I like this a lot. Thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
OfflineFlinty
post 20. Dec 2010, 11:06
Post #27

Woobblarbalurg!

Yeah I'm sure I could just mix it down again differently, but there are so many things I'd do differently now I thought it would be more interesting to create it again from scratch. It's more for personal comparison than anything else, I don't plan on re-releasing it or anything, although I might upload it to some music licensing places.

Interesting what you say about comparing music, but each piece is so different I don't think one track or artist can ever be used for comparison regularly.

In some songs the hats shouldn't shine through as much, in others they should be more piercing...sometimes deep and dirty, others airy and sharp. I think it's best to listen to your own song and to see what it needs rather than to somebody elses - unless that song is incredibly similar to your own in terms of timbre.

My problem here was mostly lack of experience...these days if I didn't have decent monitors or phones then at the very least I'd use the spectrum tool in Ableton to check for a smooth roll-off.
+Quote Post
OfflineTurbobass
post 13. Mar 2011, 09:39
Post #28

d00b

Member No.: 44,101
Ratio: 2.75

Beautiful music. Currently playing this record while hosting a dinner party at my place on a Saturday night. So far the guests have said that they really like this music and have asked about the artist. My sincere thanks to Josh Winiberg and the Torrentech netlabel for helping to make this a very mellow and memorable Saturday night for me and my friends! Cheers!!

--------------------
I ♥ Torrentech!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse

> Similar Topics in This Forum

Topic S L C Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsJosh Winiberg - Game Over
TT024 / FLAC / Lossless
3 · 0 · 259 15 pyc 16,667 10.09.2011 - 02:42
Last post by: BB317

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25.06.2017 - 20:02