Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does everyone organize their music?
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
skiteam14
Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone organizes their music? I am particularly interested in how some of you organize your CDs (by key, BPM, etc) since I'm just starting out and going to play live soon and would like to find a solid method to consolidate all my stuff. Most of you know must know that being a DJ is like being a librarian sometimes, trying to keep everything in order.
r99t
i usually split up like this:

genre/source/

and i try to organize all my folders like this [label#] artist - release
dj_ToRMeNTeD
media monkey is a handy program for organizing music biggrin.gif
Roll
QUOTE (pivot14 @ 05. Apr 2008, 01:43) *
Hi all,

Just wondering how everyone organizes their music? I am particularly interested in how some of you organize your CDs (by key, BPM, etc) since I'm just starting out and going to play live soon and would like to find a solid method to consolidate all my stuff. Most of you know must know that being a DJ is like being a librarian sometimes, trying to keep everything in order.

ITunes ftw! It will create foldings by Artist/Album for you when you consolidate, then organization happens all in playlists and tagged parameters!

Wait do you mean actual CDs?
RapaEilu
QUOTE (spyroll @ 18. Aug 2008, 10:22) *
QUOTE (pivot14 @ 05. Apr 2008, 01:43) *
Hi all,

ITunes ftw! It will create foldings by Artist/Album for you when you consolidate, then organization happens all in playlists and tagged parameters!

Wait do you mean actual CDs?

I hate that itunes system. down.gif Im more of a folder (genre/label/artist) type guy.
honestengine
I like folders by year myself, or decade - 60's, 70's, '80-'85, '86-'90 etc... Also spotlight with OSX is very useful for finding things you have "lost".
darn_gophers
I organize my folders by style of music, and manage my music in mediamonkey wink.gif biggrin.gif
kid
bumpin' this b/c i want to see how others do this.

right now, i've got a massive folder of music organized in all of which ways they were organized by uploaders. i've been slowly organizing the stuff into artists/albums since my own rips have been organized that way with itunes, but i don't really like it that much.

i think i'm going to start doing genre/artists/year-album-label or genre/label/artist/year-album. i dunno. i have no idea what to do with mixes, and i've been using itunes/winamp so i can quickly search for stuff.
Maxx
i just use media monkey, works a treat!
ilthik
Artist/album. Mp3tag to check/write tags and for its convenient ability to grab tags from discogs, freedb, and a couple other places.
celebral
MediaMonkey to organise. On harddisk, a separate folder for each artist containing separate folders for each of their releases. . Within mediamonkey I note record label (when required), genre and type any comments and then use search facility to find a particular track easily.

All individual tracks labeled track no. artist - title e.g. 01 Akasha - Brown Sugar (if you rename everything to follow your preferred filename format then keeping everything in order is easier)

I use EAC or Mediamonkey to rip CD's to FLAC format for storage and playing on decent equipment and convert to MP3 192kps for the ipod.
Spitfire
I have no CDs.
I use folders for organising.
My folder tree is like this:
\root\<genre>\<artist>\<album>\<track>
Example:
\root\Electronic\Aphex Twin\(1994) Richard D. James Album\04 - Fingerbib.flac
\root\Metal\Slayer\(2001) God Hates Us All\02 - Disciple.mp3
Infovision
Genre\Album Artist [Year] Album [Encoding Bitrate]\Track# - Title

The Genre is just used to speed up folder browsing because if I had all the folders at the same level it would take too long for quick access. This is bypassed anyway because I tag all albums with specific genres so in my music players (foobar/winamp) I can search by genre, independent of what folder it's in, and find what I want.

I then have it organized alphabetically by artist and then by year and then album. If I want to see if I have an album of that bitrate already (or have it at all) I can search folders or in my media player.

An example of how a song might show up in the tree structure:

\IDM\Another Electronic Musician [2006] Patience [VBR V0]\01 - Walking at Noon.mp3

or for VA

\Indie\Various - [1988] - London Pavilion Volume III [El Records] [CBR 256]\01 - Louis Philippe - Guess I'm Dumb.mp3

I use Tag&Rename for cleaning up ID3 tags and general renaming and foobar for mass folder renaming when I add the encoder/bitrate to a folder name.
I try and make sure that all files are embedded with the album art.

Maybe this is pedantic and obsessive but when you have as many files as I do it (seems to) become necessary to do things this way to stay organized.
Mindmusik
I have a complicated method for classifying my music but currently as it stands:

-I only have electronic music in the genres I'd play on my computer, so I just organize everything by date of acquisition, by year and month for example /Music/2009/January

-I then create playlists by month (in Winamp) where I'll classify, delete and ID3 tag each tune to my preference and from there I will consolidate lists from which I will create the actual burnt CD's I will be playing.

It's hell really so this is why I'm constantly looking at methods to classify music in a way that will improve my DJ sets over anything else.
I'm lajja
Artist/Album and then move the folder into iTunes. Then I listen through the album and put stars on each song so I know which are the good ones and which's not.
I see no point of not using iTunes, great program. It can do everything I want it too except counting BPM and writing and ID3 tag for that.

As well, Virtual DJ works great with iTunes so I can make my playlists in iTunes and then open them up in Virtual DJ!

Then I have an Aiport Express so my music is streamed wireless to my stereo and I control iTunes with Remote.app on my iPhone. "It just works" smile.gif
Piratos
Year : Months : Genres
BossCo
I dont use genre because there are so many diffent styles all i do is make a

folder: Artist_Name (Year_Released) - Release_Name (incl. this mix..feat.this person...) - CDM..Maxi..CD.. [Bitrate]
In the folder: Every ID3 tag has an id especially the Album name which is like this Album Name - LP [Cat Number]. and each track has thier own genre. because a release can have different styles in it.
SyZyGy
QUOTE (pivot14 @ 05. Apr 2008, 10:43) *
Hi all,

Guys, I think that he is asking how do dj-s organize their music cd-s biggrin.gif

I have like..60 CDs, on every cd is not more than 9 tracks (work with audio, mp3 sucks), sorted by BPM/genre.

I also know a few guys that burn two identical cds but with 12 tracks on it (it's easier to access the tracks if you are playing cd 1 and need another song from cd 1, so you just put in the copy and play the song you wanted)
Astrov_A
I'm use WindowsMedia11 and system from stars,
folder:
minimal 2008/cd's/1...1000
and folder
minimal 2008/release/nameautor-trackname

for me it's convenient
ganjahead
iTunes ftw =)
Gorelik
QUOTE (ganjahead @ 23. Mar 2009, 11:32) *
iTunes ftw =)

I hope you're not serious...

I just use Genre as the most broad, but I only have 6 or 7 genres (Metal, Rock, Pop, Hip-Hop/Rap, Electronic, Other (sometimes I have Classical separate from Other)). Then I go by artist, then album, then source tongue.gif

I also have a bunch of compilations, which are sorted separately.
perplexas
i ussualy sort by genre and release date
original
I'm going mad with it really. laugh.gif

About a year ago I started redoing my archive. I used to organise it a bit n00bish imho. wink.gif
Artist - Title (Year) / 01. Title (- Artist)

Now I took on the scene way of organising my files and simply classify them in a main genre folder. The last goes for my cds too. I guess for me it's still "simply" a matter of knowing what you're playing and just like your fave vinyls or cds, somehow I always find what I want when I want it.

A handy app for organising your physical cds is CATraxx. You load in your cd and it reads out the text or info from cddb. Put it in a database file and you have a nice list of your physical collection than you can print or put online.
badegg666
Genres - Subgenres - A-Z - Artists - Releases

thats my general organisation smile.gif but i have given up on it. organising just doesnt work when there is too much much on the HD sad.gif
original
QUOTE (badegg666 @ 25. Mar 2009, 00:04) *
organising just doesnt work when there is too much much on the HD sad.gif

So much much you name it twice even. tongue.gif
But yeah, that's another issue indeed. For every 5 albums I organise, I get another 10 in. I just can't stop buying or downloading. laugh.gif
Audionom
MPlayer: MediaMonkey 3.1

\root\alphabet\<albumartist>\<year> - <album>\<disc#><track#> - <Title>
ex.
\root\r\Royksopp\2009 - Junior\108 - You Don't Have A Clue

In MM i also use two columns for genre.

CODE
[genre]
blues
classical
electronic
folk, world & country
funk / soul
hip hop
jazz
latin
non-music
pop
reggae
rock
stage & screen

[style]
def=discogs.com

ex.
http://www.discogs.com/release/4684
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

genre = electronic
style (custom column) = IDM; techno; ambient
Schnickschnack
QUOTE (badegg666 @ 25. Mar 2009, 01:04) *

thats my general organisation smile.gif but i have given up on it. organising just doesnt work when there is too much much on the HD sad.gif

Thats the way I organize it too, just without the Subgenres folder. Hell lot of work but it has to be done sweat.gif
Captain panda
I sort of organize via genre and then artists, but I have basically given it up. I just know where everything is in my folders so I live with it unorganized.
Kolor
by smell.
Surgikal
Actually .. i have my music all unsorted on one playlist in winamp. That + loads of songs + shuffle on = Never gets boring.
.mute
I don't really tag my stuff. I just try to listen to it enough so I know by the artist name which emotions they conveyed and what style they are.
Warren Piece
If you're talking about for playing live, I just throw my records into a crate, and spend half my set searching for the right ones...
hypez604
on an hdd in folders and subfolders, organized by genres and such
Avgvstvs
Basically, the method I use for electronic music is this:

\root\Electronic\Genre\Artist\Artist - Year - Album [Record label]\Track# - Name

It's very nice to separate by year just after the artist name - I really like chronologic musical appreciation. It's also helpful to separate by great, non-specific genres (by non-specific I mean techno, IDM, ambient, etc.) if you've as much stuff as I think I myself have smile.gif. This is a quick method for browsing, searching if you already has this or that album, etc. Infovision's method, as he claims above, impressed me by adding bitrate quality in the album folder, so you can search quickly if you already has that album in that bitrate. I think i'll try that sometime.

I don't like tracks separated from their origin album, so I don't need to add artist name to the track. This may be different to MP3 player users, I don't know. The separate tracks I have are in a different, genre-subdivided folder, and always simply named "Artist - track". These are most tracks I use when DJing, I really don't think I must have a more complex organizing system for them.

On both cases, however, you must have a good memory, know precisely what you do in classifying, and never change anything. As things increase, it may be difficult to know in what folder I've placed "Blue Sky Black Death"...

This method functions very well to me in all genres except classical music and jazz, where I have to do with year of composing and year of recording, orchestra, conductor, soloists names, etc. And the works are constituted of many movements, this really is boring when organizing in folders, naming and tagging.

After that, I organize my (electronic) files with Mp3tag software, adding to it the discogs search plugin developed by tT admin freak (there's a thread about that somewhere). This plugin allows you to search by Discogs ID, so it is very good and functioning. You may also change some lines on the plugin if you don't agree with freak's method of tagging (must know something about programming). I don't mind so much with a 100% tagging (I mean, if this track genre is "glitch" or something else). I'm happy with a good aproximate genre system (IDM, DnB, so on). There's never a track you cannot find; besides that, you can always configure the parameters of the library in your software. The important thing in tagging is fulfill the fields "artist", "album", "album year", "track number", so on, in a way it's good to your listening preferences. You see that this previous tagging work is really helpful when you add your files to your listening software and they're almost perfect (sometimes I change something on the genre data provided by Discogs). I use MediaMonkey, Winamp or Foobar2000. Tagging is an art. smile.gif

As time goes by, I try to add album art, not just the cover, but the whole booklet. Search for it on sites, different torrents, etc. As I'm a little obcessed with rare and unknown releases, this may be an impossible task. Anyway, freak's Discogs plugin for Mp3tag can add cover album to tag in 70% cases. This software (not the plugin) also has a cover search from Amazon, but it never works with the stuff I like.

Professional DJs organizing system may be very different than a method for home listener, or a researcher. They must be more attent to novelties, so organizing from more recent to less recent stuff may be good.
VAXXINE
Crazy! Haven't seen one person in here sort music by Key and BPM.
This is a great strategy if you're a DJ and constantly want to have solid mixes.
I have all my shit sorted into random genre folders. But when you're able to sort your music all by key it eliminates a lot of time listening to tracks in your headphones. If you're in key it will sound good. you just gotta know how to mix. I've Got all my shit set up so well that i don't even have to wear headphones anymore. Can just math the correct pitch in my head. Tracks are beatmatched in seconds. just gotta pretty go and start mixing.
Meshdizzy
Why don't you try Windows Media Player?

If you provide all the fields for a CD, you can
have lists of all sorts of "categories".

For example, you have 2 CDs. One for Artist A,
Genre A, Year A, with Tracks TracksA.

And the second, Artist B, Genre B, Year B,
Track TracksB.

So, if you want to see your CDs by artist you simply
go to the artist "field" of the Windows Media Player.

If you want to search by genre you go to the Genre
field.. etc etc etc.
(Yes it has also "track" field)
1man
genre/artist/year. album (tags)
jaymon
Genre/Subgenre/Artist/(Year) Album/Artist - # - Title
fish
Eg.

J:\music\Aim\Cold Water Music\11 Journey to the End of the Night.mp3

all various albums are in:
J:\music\Various Artists\After 6 am Vol. 2\05 atlantis.mp3

Various albums not listened to are in:
J:\music\various\Youth - Ketama Live\Youth - Ketama Live.mp3

All uploads on an external drive
H:\uploads TorrentTech\Techno\X-Mix-1 - The MFS-Trip\10-Humate - Love Stimulation.flac

That is all!
robbee
songs/genre/artist - album/tracknr artist - title.mp3

if i want to decide what music to listen i always choose what genre, not what year, what source, or what catalog nr. so for me this is the easiest way of browsing my music. all the other info is in the id3 tags anyway.
blind_man
As a beginner DJ (cd-js) I used to organise my techno/housey cds by some vague sort of mood. With them organised this way, I often ended up having to warp tracks by up to 4-5% while mixing, which often fucked their vibe and I had to do so many tempo shifts.

I read and heard from a lot of DJs that they rarely warp a track by more than 0.5%, so, I underwent the massive task of finding out the exact BPM of all my tracks, and re-burning them onto cds sorted by BPM. Ableton is awesome for finding out the BPM, you just start off as if you were going to warp the track (move the start marker to the first downbeat of the tune) then simply adjust Ableton's tempo so that all the beat/bar lines land on all the beats of the tune. This is particularly cool because it also gives you a quick and easy chance to take note of any tempo shifts in the tune and also the times of the drops or for tracks with massive beatless intros.

With my cds sorted like this, my beatmatching skills ain't quite what they used to be, but I am able to control when I want a tempo shift and I don't over-warp tracks as much, so I think it's a good way to arrange your tunes.

True story.
Juicebox
my system looks like this
Music/Genre/Subgenre/Artist/Name
since i am a laptop dj, in the comment box of all my tracks i have something like this
R#H#D# (A few key words describing the feel or vibe or that will help me remember which track it is), (Bpm),
R= personal rating (how good the song is in my opinion)
H = Hardness of beet...for instance if the beat is really clear and stands out it will be a 5, if its a softer song with the beet less aparrent it will be a 1, or if it has a lot of distortion and the beet is less apparent it will be a 1
This alows me to know how dancy the song is.
D= how much distortion is in a song.
This helps me for mixing as i mix alot of genres together its good to know

I also have 3 cuepoints in all my songs
1. Is a drum in, were there is only the drums or beet of the song.
2.Is vocals in...were there is mostly only vocals playing on the track
3. is Mid section in...were only the mid section of the track is playing...
most songs have atleast 1 bar of section like this and it makes it brainless knowing wwere to mix in and the rest comes bye estimating how long it lasts etc, bye looking at the soundwaves.

I put all the files i would not realistically be able to play or use in a set into one of 2 seperate folders
One is called "Failures" For songs i know i will never use or play in a set
Or "listen" for songs that are good but i couldnt immagine myself ever playing them cause i just dont like them and they dont match my style...this way i can listen to them later to see if something has changed and i like them more..

I made this system because i have ALOT of music and most of my favorite songs i have only listened to up to 6 times, so with the influx of music it is alot easyer to know what the song is bye more than the name, as well as know what feel it has, if i like it, how to mix it, etc. I can mix songs even if i dont remember what song it is, just bye looking at my notes and cue point, i meen anyone who knew the system good and looked at my list could mix it its really brainless.
Widget
CDs by Genre, then Keycode. I should probably start writing BPMs as well, but I speed a lot of it up anyway so it doesn't make that much of a difference.

I thought it was actually more standard to use keycodes now but I guess not :<
bleifrei
QUOTE (badegg666 @ 25. Mar 2009, 01:04) *

oooooh yea! i just did the same for years. then something happened... and ive created a folder called 'music'. i put everything into it. i store very few things on my HD.
you know what happened? tT radio happened!

miner.gif
spectra
How I organize my music is basically irrelevant these days. I use foobar2000. I can re-organize my music by simply writing a different title formatting string for the album list. Sort by genre, by artist, by date, by whatever, it doesn't matter.

I recommend against MediaMonkey if you have a large collection.

foobar2000 is significantly faster on my 900GB collection, to say nothing of more extensible and more powerful.
kato
mood/tempo/emotion
sleuthking
Folder system: Genre/Artist
Folder names: Artist - Album Title (Year)
File names: Artist - Track Number - Song Title

I would sort folders into record labels, too, but most artists are on several different labels throughout their career, if not all the time. It would make searching for all their works in one spot a pain.

I clean every single file's ID3 tag along with album art with the Tag&Rename program.
Organization is key to finding things quick and easy.
eyetea
As a DJ I organise my tunes into two distinct catagories which I will detail here:

Catagory A:

In sleeves / cd cases in the record bag - ready to be played

Catagory B:

In a pile of sleeves, records, cds and cd cases on the floor having just been played

biggrin.gif
nac30
I use OrangeCD - allows for quite some customization, though at home I have only five very general categories for my actual CDs, 'cause using genres is quite misleading (too few albums belong to one single genre). I have called them Industrial (mostly Darkwave, Electro-Industrial, EBM etc.), Dance (mostly Techno, House, IDM, Trance, Break and Big Beat etc.), Ambient (mostly Ambient, New Age, Progressive Electronics, but also orchestral and electronic scores), Metal (says it all), and a very broad Pop category (cover almost all of the rest). Within each category the discs are sorted by alphabet and then release date). Artists that have made music still belonging to more than one of these very general categories will all put into the category the artist would belong to by context. (I.e., Juno Reactor would belong rather to Dance, so Luciana - while being rather Ambient - goes to the Dance category as well.)

Vinyls are not categorized by genre, only by size (12" or 7"), simply for a reason of space. Also, Depeche Mode (including Dave Gahan, Recoil and Martin L. Gore) are always apart, again for reasons of space.

Digital files I usually don't sort - a good soft player does that inside his library, as long as they are well tagged. (Unfortunately I haven't found a player that properly supports Xiph's Vorbis comments; Winamp will display most of them, but if there, for example, two genre tags, Winamp will treats them as a new joint genre tag.)
sKRiLLz
whys everybody hating on itunes???

oh yea
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.