Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE BEST SUB GENRE
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Slankoe
Right, so we all know what the best genre is (gabba). So how about we take some time to dissect the various sub genres found in many of these individual genres. You will have probably noticed that many sub genres feature similar grooves and styles, even though they are in a totally different genre. Now let us not waste our time looking too deep or we will end up with a separate genre for every track in existence. Let us compare the various styles that are found in a wide range of the main genres and stuff and like stimulate discussion and garner responses or whatever and stuff.

I forget the rest but this was going to be a very good thread but whatever, just vote or some shit, I don't really care. Sleep well.
Slankoe
You guys really don't find the spread of broader sub genres over other genres interesting?

EDIT: Well you guys aren't very talkative, but I appreciate the feedback. It is now being compiled in a larger study that is being done for my sociology class. Thank you for your honest answers. If you have already voted and wish to withdraw your result at any time, please PM me with your answer and I will remove one for you. Thanks again, dudes. smile.gif
mustardpimp
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 22. Nov 2011, 04:15) *
You guys really don't find the spread of broader sub genres over other genres interesting?

EDIT: Well you guys aren't very talkative, but I appreciate the feedback. It is now being compiled in a larger study that is being done for my sociology class. Thank you for your honest answers. If you have already voted and wish to withdraw your result at any time, please PM me with your answer and I will remove one for you. Thanks again, dudes. smile.gif

dear Slankoe,
i voted tech
love mustardpimp
IRMA
Deep? smile.gif
dihoryan
depends on the mood im in, so all i guess
at different times though
Slankoe
If I am missing anything that you'd like me to include I'll add it.
spectra
ACIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIID
Slankoe
QUOTE (mustardpimp @ 02. Dec 2011, 11:11) *
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 22. Nov 2011, 04:15) *

dear Slankoe,
i voted tech
love mustardpimp

Dear mustardpimp
Hey man, I noticed that you voted "tech." Thanks a lot man.
kind regards, Slankoe
dysluder
QUOTE (IRMA @ 02. Dec 2011, 09:19) *
Deep? smile.gif

Yeah, I was thinking of that also when I first looked at this. That is especially important in house music. I bet DJCM would vote for the "deep" subgenre. It definitely works in other genres as well though.

"Electro" is another somewhat universal subgenre (and technically a genre of its own). Its definition can vary a little in different contexts though, kind of like "acid" (think of acid jazz or acid rock) I would definitely include it in the list of subgenres though.
Slankoe
QUOTE (dysluder @ 02. Dec 2011, 15:41) *
Deep? smile.gif

Yeah, I was thinking of that also when I first looked at this. That is especially important in house music. I bet DJCM would vote for the "deep" subgenre. It definitely works in other genres as well though.

"Electro" is another somewhat universal subgenre (and technically a genre of its own). Its definition can vary a little in different contexts though, kind of like "acid" (think of acid jazz or acid rock) I would definitely include it in the list of subgenres though.

You don't see the "deep" option? It's there, deep at the bottom of the list tongue.gif
dysluder
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 02. Dec 2011, 15:07) *
You don't see the "deep" option? It's there, deep at the bottom of the list tongue.gif

Yeah, I saw that you added it after Irma mentioned it. It wasn't there when I first looked at the topic though (unless I am losing my mind. Forgive me if that is the case.)

Anyway, I ended up voting for "dark" anyway. Nobody was showing it any love.

And I want to say something about "dark" since you were looking to stimulate some discussion in this thread.

I used to think that the Dark forum on TT should be done away with, since "dark" is much more of a sub-labeling rather than a whole separate genre. It might even be one of the most universal ones, since it can be applied to every genre that TT has a forum for, and most major genres in music in general. (You can even have dark trance and dark pop music.) I figured that if Dark has its own forum, then Electro should too. But I also feel like it makes sense to have a separate section, especially in the case of industrial music or some "EBM" stuff which can be hard to categorize otherwise.

Anyway, dark music deserves some love I think. We all experience "dark" times, or have dark thoughts. The world can be a pretty dark fucking place sometimes too... Not to be depressing or anything. laugh.gif

IRMA
well, dark forum is here more for like EBM and industrial thing than for dark subgenres... smile.gif

then, dark as subgenre, hm... very hard to classify it then isn't it? Do you describe it in order to how does it make you feel?

definitely deeeeep mate, deep bass everywhere, yai! Deep techno, deep dubstep, deep dnb, deep everything!
dihoryan
QUOTE (dysluder @ 02. Dec 2011, 14:37) *
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 02. Dec 2011, 15:07) *

It wasn't there when I first looked at the topic though (unless I am losing my mind. Forgive me if that is the case.)

Lol, no it wasnt there. I added it after play mentioned it in the shoutbox.
dysluder
QUOTE (IRMA @ 02. Dec 2011, 17:05) *
well, dark forum is here more for like EBM and industrial thing than for dark subgenres... smile.gif

then, dark as subgenre, hm... very hard to classify it then isn't it? Do you describe it in order to how does it make you feel?

definitely deeeeep mate, deep bass everywhere, yai! Deep techno, deep dubstep, deep dnb, deep everything!

I completely agree with that. There is certain stuff that wouldn’t really fit anywhere else if there was no dark section. When it’s used as a subgenre, you end up with a very mixed bag of styles, and you are right in saying that it is hard to define. Dissonance and noise, maybe droning atmospheres, but other than that, there is no constant elements. “Witch House” (a terrible name for the genre) is considered to be dark, and that comes from the offbeat rhythms, dissonant chords and atmospheres, skewed and pitch shifted vocals. I guess one thing that sometimes will separate Dark from other styles is the sub-culture that often comes with it, like the black clothing or make-up (gothic), or in the case of the Witch House trend all the symbols and triangles and crosses and whatnot. But like you suggested, the way it makes you feel is probably ultimately what makes it dark to an individual.

I can vibe with you on the “deep” appreciation. Deep dubstep usually wins me over when comparing it to the newer mid-range wobble style (usually, not always) And minimal music typically benefits from deep bass and a deep sounding atmosphere. I am with you there.

I also love abstract experimental and psychedelic stuff (music that fucks your mind and creates crazy imagery, or inspires new interpretations of sound.) It is a big struggle for me to choose a single style as a favorite because I end up paying more attention to the way music affects me rather than what its particular components are. But examining music in a somewhat objective nature does have its uses, even if it’s mostly just to organize and reference your music more easily. But it sure does pay off to break those walls down and experience music in its seemingly infinite nature sometimes.

Slankoe
QUOTE (dihoryan @ 02. Dec 2011, 17:37) *
Lol, no it wasnt there. I added it after play mentioned it in the shoutbox.

Right, thank you very much then. I thought I had forgot something. smile.gif

Yes, dark I guess can fall under pretty much anything. It's closely related to deep, the major difference being that deep can be identified as glowy, uplifting, bright etc... and dark usually cannot.
AWEdio
I don't think polls like this are representative of much because I do not favour just one sub-genre, ever.

Someone has already mentioned it depends on what mood they are in, which is bang on the money.

If you want to do a genuine survey like this, you should allow people several choices and then ask them to rank them in order of preference. If they have no preference, then they all get a rank of 1.

I am saying this on the basis of my own MSc research where I was looking into the validity of labelling people as adventure, nature and/or culture tourists. When given the option, most people (over ninety percent) will choose several options. Very few people are totally dedicated to one sector, most people enjoy variety.

Variety is the spice of life...

Since you have forced me to vote for one thing, I will go deep, but I would also have voted on dark, dub, tribal and minimal for my top five... and they would all have had a rank of one. Acid, Tech and Progressive would have been a close second and psy would bring up the rear...

p.s. you are missing 'Hard'
atrax
My vote goes to "deep funky soulful vocal sexy house"
wontonfuey
disco chillout, should be a genre....
whatupdog
Mini mall for sure
Slankoe
YEEEEEEH I got 87% on my project! Thank you very much dudes and gals.
blacklight_sessions
Nice. Music one, social policy nil.
I voted Psy cause I love being able to pretend I'm using poi whilst I'm dancing. Makes you look plenty nuts. And of course cause it sounds cool, which helps.
flipflopflump
How come I can't vote Deep, Dark and Techy?

That's the best IMO. thumbsup.gif
flipflopflump
QUOTE (AWEdio @ 02. Dec 2011, 17:11) *
p.s. you are missing 'Hard'

Also he forgot... Duuuuuurty
DJCM
QUOTE (dysluder @ 02. Dec 2011, 20:41) *
Deep? smile.gif

You know that smile.gif and i did vote biggrin.gif
Ghetotblaster
Deep all day
mokha1
lol @ tribal. no loveeee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.