Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you guys (dj's) keep up with the insane amount of house/techno that's released?
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
mokha1
There is so much new music released and it's like impossible to listen to everything sad.gif

I've missed so many 'hidden gems' and I wanna learn how to stop doing that!
two|beers
Listen to more stuff?! smile.gif
dihoryan
click the weblink and listen to the samples
if the weblink doesnt have sample clips try youtube
if those are both to time consuming as well
tune into tT radio and get track id's on the songs you like
we have quite a few house / techno djs here and between all of them you should be able to hear a broad spectrum of house and techno releases
thinker
well u gotta be on top and preview tons of crap that gets put out daily, but its easier when u know more ppl that dj.. talk to them n they'll be like "did u check this last tune from _blah_ it's awesome" etc..
GlobeAddict
- Firstly I don't go on Beatport. 95% is shit.
- I first listen to vinyl releases. Most of the time, they won't release the tracks on vinyl if those are shitty ones. As I said, 'MOST OF THE TIME'.
- Then I follow some DJs on online music store and I listen to recommendations. You will sometimes discover new producers.
- Try to categorize your genre, sub-genre.
pyc
Just read comments on the torrent topics and you'll see if many people are saying it's great - there is good chance it is actually. Mostly. Except in the case of Stimming - Reflections wink.gif
Kolor
For my digital stuff I use Subsonic to skim through everything then sort into Bin and Keep directories. Vinyl is not so much of an issue as its getting harder to get, more expensive, with less record shops so most I buy online after already having heard the tune from my downloads.
indica
House and techno are shit anyway - so why bother?

I remember back in the day when I used to buy records, I'd get a dotmatrix printout from the record store (I bought mail order) and picked tunes by the names and the labels. Was so much easier back then.
u4got2wipe
QUOTE (indica @ 27. Sep 2011, 01:09) *
House and techno are shit anyway - so why bother?

don't listen to this guy....publicly he hates on house and techno but get a few drinks in him and suddenly he's like a loose teenage girl on E jocking house beats. laugh.gif

Honestly though, if you want to find those hidden gems then you have to put the time and effort into finding them. Personally, I listen to everything uploaded to the tT house and techno fourms...once a week i dig through beatport, juno and whatpeopleplay to listen to their new releases and i also listen to a ton of dj charts. Often with the DJ charts i've already heard the tunes but once in a blue moon i hear something amazing that i've never heard before and that makes the hours of scrubbing through endless amounts of crap totally worth it. Finding new tracks is a sick addiction for me and it's probably unhealthy for the long run but perhaps you can the find the happy balance between finding new tunes and real world responsibility that i have yet to discover. wink.gif
pyc
...I even met some people which stopped listening to new music at all because they felt unable to really track all the good stuff smile.gif) They always feel kind of sad because of it all...
two|beers
A bit OT but, would it be possible to display the Label under the Name - Title on the forums, after the quality maybe? Or even in the rss feed? smile.gif
indica
QUOTE (two|beers @ 27. Sep 2011, 22:56) *
A bit OT but, would it be possible to display the Label under the Name - Title on the forums, after the quality maybe? Or even in the rss feed? smile.gif

If you hover the javaSCRIPT [edit by pyc wink.gif] pop up thingy shows the whole post...
surely you don't need it easier to get free shit?
two|beers
Yea yea I know that mouse-over but... wink.gif In the RSS Feed would be A+++
acidpob303
Download Sadar and chickenbeats uploads only and you wont go far wrong
housedaddy
Now i'm not a dj, but blogs helped me alot.
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (pyc @ 27. Sep 2011, 09:21) *
Just read comments on the torrent topics and you'll see if many people are saying it's great - there is good chance it is actually. Mostly. Except in the case of Stimming - Reflections wink.gif

down.gif

Go back to the trance section, Mr. Admin, you have no idea... biggrin.gif I think I listened to Reflections ten times just in the last week...
mokha1
Thanks for the suggestions guys.. I really need to streamline my music folders and just organize it better. I also have to learn how to delete stuff so I have room for a new tunes!.
Also artist charts are a great idea... no idea why I haven't looked at those before.
pyc
QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 28. Sep 2011, 14:32) *
Go back to the trance section, Mr. Admin, you have no idea... biggrin.gif I think I listened to Reflections ten times just in the last week...

...will give it another shot. wink.gif

.......as for trance section. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. smile.gif
AWEdio
QUOTE (mokha1 @ 29. Sep 2011, 18:29) *
I also have to learn how to delete stuff so I have room for a new tunes!.

Right click > Delete

LOL

What a bizarre thread - surely the only way to know what tunes are out there is to listen to them, unless you are psychic... they are called hidden gems for a reason... do you expect to turn up to a treasure hunt and have someone hand you the pot of gold?

I wouldn't listen to people saying beatport is shit, I use it to pre-listen half the tracks uploaded on this tracker... and Juno downloads for the the other half...

I'm kinda with indica, even though I play house and techno - 4/4 is boring. 3/4 is where it's at biggrin.gif
spectra
QUOTE (acidpob303 @ 27. Sep 2011, 05:51) *
Download Sadar and chickenbeats uploads only and you wont go far wrong
While this guy is pretty clearly biased (not necessarily incorrectly, either, but I digress), if you generalize this out, there's a good tactic here for finding good music in all genres: Find people who share your tastes and listen to what they like.
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (pyc @ 29. Sep 2011, 10:30) *
QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 28. Sep 2011, 14:32) *

...will give it another shot. wink.gif

.......as for trance section. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. smile.gif

Pyc, I'm gonna make a trance recommendation thread just for you, because I don't know much classy trance stuff and I think you could point me in the right direction. I used to love trance when I was a kid, but it was really commercial stuff. I know there's some really deep hypnotic pieces out there but I don't really know where to look and I've been concentrating so much on tech recently I never found the time.

As for Reflections, I'm sure it's not to everybody's taste - I didn't appreciate it properly at first. I liked the aesthetic but it was over a few weeks that it really grew on me. There are some tracks on there I still don't like, but 8 out of the 11 tracks got a 5 star from me. Actually this one is my fave at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kN8l97J9c
Also very nice in a very different way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmGmKMOmyg

Back on topic...you can never get ALL the good music, and you will inevitably run accross some shit in your search. But you can get a lot of good stuff by just focusing on three things, in my opinion (excluding knowing the artist already, of course):

- Is there a lot of hype around the release on tT or elsewhere? Popular doesn't always mean good, but more often than not I'd say it's a good indicator, if you trust the crowd here. Many artists I discovered this way ended up becoming favourites - Stimming included.
- Do you trust the label?
- Is it remixed by an artist you like?

If all three, then it's almost certain the release will be right for you. But I'd download a release if it fulfills even one of those criteria, and more often than not I'm satisfied and end up looking for more by that artist. I never prelisten because I just don't have time to. Those criteria are normally enough.

I think a lot of people here check to see who 'liked' the post already. If they know they have similar taste then that can be a good indicator too, but I don't do this personally.

Edit: Pyc...smile.gif
pyc
Delicious reply smile.gif I mean, it's generally senseless to talk too much about tastes, but it always ends like that and what can I say... I love it. I Love to listen and to give recommendations about the music... Must say also that I'm bit of a egoist when it comes to music, I appreciate my taste so much that I kind of think my taste is not subjective but objective. I think it's kind of healthy for every serious music admirer...

Let me comment on these two Stimming tracks you posted...

First track - quite nice, I would most probably play it in some of my minimal sets and maybe even tech-house. I give it 9/10. Minimal as a style is really not on the top of my list, but I surely appreciate, and I can fully trip on it, but I am a bit picky there.

Second track - OK, but that acoustic string sound (can't remember the name of that instrument) in the middle of minimal trip is a little bit annoying to me... rarely I find those combinations amusing because it kind of ruins the idea of electronic music a bit. Those classical string sounds are kind of too simple to be mixed with electronics. I was always listening to sound itself and as I may think some melody or rhythm can be bad, I can also think the same about the sample or instrument used. Track is good, I would give it 7/10, but I doubt I would play it in my sets... Melodies played with that classical instrument here are kind of not-working for me, I even find them annoying. Melody from 5:31 definitely ruins it all, it's even pathetic to me..

Back to Trance... I was always into it, it's only that I gained some deeper understanding of the whole Psy movement after I attended Ozora festival. I was amazed by the energy and spirituality of it all, there was about 25-30000 people at open air festival for 6 days, somehow I think similar can't be achieved with any other style of electronic music, nor it happened yet (correct me if I'm wrong), and that tells us something about the whole trip... Contrary to this, tT trance section is fully dead, which is not quite in the concordance with what I said previously. So I started to dig deeper and really got into it, I spin several trance tracks almost every day now, I just can't get enough of them... and most of them are giving me goose bumps on certain parts...

So I will base my recommendation thread you opened on one premise: goose bumps, when I get that from some track - than I think it's absolutely and objectively amazing and I expect every serious admirer of music to think the same... OK I flushed the whole musical egoism out of me right now, but "I feel good ... tararararara, I knew that I would, now....." hahaha...

Prepare for some serious flashes, and please listen to those tracks loud on headphones. Still... the right atmosphere for these is tribal gathering, big fire, shamans around, and brain preperly fuelled........ wink.gif Will spend some time thoroughly recommending individual tracks, maybe albums....

Here it is: http://www.torrentech.org/index.php?showtopic=176565
Flint Eastwood
Will have a big listen now, cheers Pyc!

As for the instruments in the Stimming track, for sure it's a matter of taste and it has to be played in the right environment. When I first heard it live it was during one of Stimming sets at Berghain Panorama Bar. He was playing at 6 in the morning and just as the instruments came in the blinds opened and the sun came through...really beautiful. It's not meant for some minimal set though, I'd agree with you on that, but at the right time at the right place I think it's the most beautiful track that could be played. I definitely don't agree with you that there is a 'point' to electronic music though and even if there is for me I much prefer real strings to the crappy digital pad sounds which could play the same melody but without the depth and richness of texture.

Anyway, nuff chat...time to plunder the trance section. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.