Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux + new PC
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Music software, hardware and production
Pages: 1, 2
indica
I love my mac, fuck me the new iMacs are OVERPRICED.
I can get 2 computers for the price of one of them. And better specs too.
I'm going to do it soon, I'll try and DJ off one too, does anyone here do it?
I'll get back into producing too, my music is shit anyway, that way I'll be able to blame the equipment.
Idle.
/me supports your decision.
pyc
I think your creative abilities can be unleashed even with Linux, one just needs to be focused and fully use the potential of programs which may not be as good as Windows or OSX pandams.... On few machines I regularily use Ubuntu and Mint and I do think this operating system is the best one around. Much healthier environment than corporate shits.
pyc
Note also that http://www.renoise.com/ is available for Linux, and as far as I'm concerned that may be the best DAW program out there, I doubt any other program is easier to use - it's the tracker's legacy....
indica
It's funny.
I'm certain some of the better sounds I made were made using the Acid program on a 166 mmx pentium with 64 mb ram and a 3 gig hd.
Then I got the mac and Logic which is amazing software, but I have a procrastination problem and found myself searching for that elusive synth that I just KNEW I needed. Never did any work in the end.
pyc
...too much tweeking knobs and buttons.... what we need is melody, structure smile.gif
Kolor
QUOTE (pyc @ 28. Jun 2011, 11:35) *
...too much tweeking knobs and buttons.... what we need is melody, structure smile.gif

... a pipe and some slippers.
spectra
QUOTE (indica @ 27. Jun 2011, 21:15) *
I'm going to do it soon, I'll try and DJ off one too, does anyone here do it?
Mixxx isn't quite as powerful as say, Serato or Traktor, but it does the job if you know what you're doing.

My own software continues at a glacial pace, but I'm still hoping for a summer alpha release. (How many times have I stated and overshot a deadline now? The mind boggles.) First prototype is in Java/Swing and is being tested/developed primarily on Debian, so that shouldn't be an issue. There's a rewrite in C++/GTKmm coming, but that's in the Future.

If there's any other way I can be of assistance in this transition of yours, just ask. I've got your back completely on this one.
indica
QUOTE (Canar @ 29. Jun 2011, 04:57) *
Mixxx isn't quite as powerful as say, Serato or Traktor, but it does the job if you know what you're doing.

If there's any other way I can be of assistance in this transition of yours, just ask. I've got your back completely on this one.

Thanks... I have grabbed mixx for mac and will have a look at that.
The new computer thing is a month or so off yet, but ill appreciate any help I can get!
jayzn
i'll still love you even if you go off the deep end and get into linux..
moar4x4
Mixxx is decent, nothing speical but its fun to mess around on. I also remeber using Serato Scratch i believe back when i was dual booting.....
pyc
http://www.ultramixer.com ...
indica
my kids have ipods... can I run itunes under linux? or do I boot windows from another partition?
they have them for the games and buy them from itunes.
spectra
QUOTE (indica @ 29. Jun 2011, 11:31) *
my kids have ipods... can I run itunes under linux? or do I boot windows from another partition?
they have them for the games and buy them from itunes.
Welcome to the walled garden. Have fun getting out.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?...on&iId=1347 -- iTunes in Wine support from WineHQ
Idle.
some other resources:
http://www.gtkpod.org/wiki/Home
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/w..._Managers#Linux

solutions for future reference: boycott apple
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (pyc @ 28. Jun 2011, 12:35) *

Words of wisdom. Get a basic sound, then worry about the details when the first draft of the track is finished wink.gif
indica
QUOTE (Idle. @ 30. Jun 2011, 06:43) *
solutions for future reference: boycott apple

yes but the ipod is a good kids toy - better than the ds and psp...

hmmm, potentially I can buy two computers now anyway - wife wants a laptop so i may run doze on that and Linux on the desktop.
thanks for all the help.
indica
Any reason to get intel over amd?
robbee
QUOTE (indica @ 03. Jul 2011, 07:02) *
Any reason to get intel over amd?

On high end CPUs you won't notice much of a difference, but on low end CPUs i really experienced Intel being faster, especially encoding-wise. AMD tends to be cheaper than Intel and will do whatever you want, but if price is no mather i'd go for Intel. Just make sure you got with a 64bit CPU if you're planning on running a 64bit OS.
Kolor
Better chips.
indica
Here I can get a well specced PC with the AMD Phenom 6 core @ 3.3 for the same as one with an i5... am i still better off with the i5?
Kolor
yep
indica
cheers
pyc
Motherboard is even more important. Look for program called dpclat. It measures some latencies... bad board can't pass the test, like my shitty laptop and old motherboard... now i have serious intel board that passes the test..

They say it may be related to drivers but I disabled every possible driver on my old machine, and it didn't help... So I think it may be related to bad hardware...
spectra
I've never owned a board/setup that had DPC latency issues, and I only buy the cheapest Gigabyte brand AMD motherboards. The underlying problem is driver-related. It was probably IDE/SATA or USB or something that you wouldn't/couldn't disable that was causing the issue. Alternately, perhaps the hardware itself was faulty...
indica
Getting closer - it will be a laptop as I am moving 2600 kms in a few weeks.
Robbee - should I go Mint or Ubuntu?
pyc
I would go for Mint if it's ok with your hardware... It's kind of cleaner than Ubuntu... Tried Mint 10 but it's buggy on my lap, returned to Mint 9...
indica
It will be new i5 or i7 if I can get that past the wife... =)
indica
Ripping software?
DVDs and CDs...
Idle.
QUOTE (indica @ 16. Jul 2011, 03:53) *
Ripping software?
DVDs and CDs...

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/ ( "dvdrip" in repos)

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-dvd-ripper-software.html
robbee
K3B can do most buring/ripping works, although i don't like it's KDE looks tongue.gif EAC works perfect in wine as well... I'm still on Mint 9 as well btw. Might upgrade to 11, since it's not using Gnome 3 or that Unity crap. I get around with Mint 9 perfect though.
notme
I would also recommend you take a look at Ubuntu Studio. It comes with a real-time kernel pre-compiled.
indica
new i5 today - just installed Mint 11 - up and running and looking great!
indica
QUOTE (pyc @ 28. Jun 2011, 19:03) *
Note also that http://www.renoise.com/ is available for Linux, and as far as I'm concerned that may be the best DAW program out there, I doubt any other program is easier to use - it's the tracker's legacy....

There are some quality artists using that, I may have to buy it....
pyc
...it's really cheap, I bought my copy...
indica
Well yes, I'll need something to pass the time when I move before my wife n kids join me, 80 euro not too bad at all.
Idle.
QUOTE (notme @ 16. Jul 2011, 08:00) *

Also just throwin' it out there - http://dynebolic.org/
indica
Keep it coming, gives me something to come back to.
indica
Another question.
Soundcards - internal or USB and I have heard that stuff doesn't work with Linux - what does?
Idle.
QUOTE (indica @ 06. Aug 2011, 23:05) *
Soundcards - internal or USB and I have heard that stuff doesn't work with Linux - what does?

I would always investigate the product first hand to make sure it will be compatible with whatever distro or OS I'm running (specifics are a bit required in that respect). As for soundcards, I'd personally go with an internal card rather than a USB.

---
Another interesting LiveOS flew up on distrowatch,

http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/forum/

( Direct DL of the ISO - 2,158MB )

Dream Studio is an Ubuntu-based distribution containing tools to create stunning graphics, captivating videos, inspiring music, and professional websites. Some of the included and pre-configured applications include Cinelerra (a powerful non-linear video editor), Ardour (a professional digital audio workstation), CinePaint (a tool for motion picture frame-by-frame retouching), Blender (a 3D graphics application), Inkscape (a vector graphics editor), Synfig Studio (a vector-based 2D animation software), Kompozer (a complete web authoring system), and many others.

Of course, it's just Ubuntu with a ton of programs packed into it, I'd rake in the ones I'd use and install it from my own system. There are a few dj tools in it, quite a bit of sound FX tools and production software, ton of video / image / sound editing progs, etc.
indica
All seems good so far with mint
I grabbed mixxx connected to the shoutcast server, although it would not authenticate me, so i am probably putting my user id in the wrong place.
I have not tested it with my behringer mixer yet.

it seems the m-audio 2496 card can work with ubuntu/ mint. I am wondering if I can take the card out of my old mac and put it in this (provided it is the right pci for the motherboard)
indica
Okay.
Mixxx doesn't like my ALAC but will play FLAC.
Any batch converters for ALAC to FLAC... I can't find anything?
indica
Soundconverter does it.
fast too.
Mixxx is ready, the Behringer works immediately with it.
Will be time for a set soon.

BTW Mint comes with a DVD ripper.
I am really impressed with the software and the Avant window navigator I installed.

Fuck Mac, Fuck Windows... even someone with no idea can get Linux (of some variation) to work how they want.
It is FREE.
Idle.
Glad it's all coming together wink.gif

Hopefully you'll set precedent for future linux user DJ's, there certainly needs to be more diversity around.
indica
I can connect to the server too.
Perhaps I will try a set tomorrow.
pyc
..try Ultramixer, seems like it's a bit more serious solution for mixing in Linux... I haven't tried it, though..
robbee
QUOTE (pyc @ 01. Sep 2011, 13:04) *
..try Ultramixer, seems like it's a bit more serious solution for mixing in Linux... I haven't tried it, though..

Once they release version 3 for Linux it will, but sadly Linux is limited to version 2 which lacks a lot of functions imo.
indica
QUOTE (pyc @ 01. Sep 2011, 21:04) *

I have d'l ed, but if it is serious I potentially don't want it,
I don't like to be serious.
robbee
I have tried it, but it lacks visuals of the track, which is very important imo. I'm sticking with mixx and I'm looking forward to mixxx 1.10, where you'll be able to move the bpm marks on the visuals smile.gif
indica
So.
My stream buffers a lot. I was thinking it was purely ISP related but then someone listened to the mix I recorded here and it glitched.
So maybe not only ISP?
ANy chance the lack of graphics card could harm the stream - in that the waveform lags sometimes.
I remember I have another computer here so I will attempt to Windows stream tomorrow and see if that is bufferless...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.