Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF is happening to dubstep?!?
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
AdamNuk
I've been a follower of dubstep for the past 5 Years but can't help but think its turning to shit lately! it actually used to have some form of composure and substance and have a beat that you couldnt help but skank too example

Babylon System - Loaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-H1wAjvBQU

But now I think mainstream has hit it badly with sounds which make it destined for radio 1 either that or just a lot of noise.

Anyone else getting this feeling that the genre is slowly going to the dogs?
Glitchwerks
How did you miss the half dozen other topics about this already?

Dubstep is the new trance, dubstep is over, dubstep ran over my dog, dubstep felt me up on the bus, dubstep prank called my mother, dubstep left the toilet seat up, dubstep urinated in public...

No offense intended, I think we all get it already. The same thing happened to trance, drum n bass, minimal, progressive house, etc. Go find new records, there's like 50 million of them on Torrentech.
AdamNuk
QUOTE (Glitchwerks @ 25. Jun 2011, 12:54) *
How did you miss the half dozen other topics about this already?

Dubstep is the new trance, dubstep is over, dubstep ran over my dog, dubstep felt me up on the bus, dubstep prank called my mother, dubstep left the toilet seat up, dubstep urinated in public...

No offense intended, I think we all get it already. The same thing happened to trance, drum n bass, minimal, progressive house, etc. Go find new records, there's like 50 million of them on Torrentech.

Yeah had a bee up my rear about it then read further down and noticed the other topics just a bit of a gutting feeling on an incline within what was once a good genre
Glitchwerks
QUOTE (AdamNuk @ 25. Jun 2011, 08:11) *
Yeah had a bee up my rear about it then read further down and noticed the other topics just a bit of a gutting feeling on an incline within what was once a good genre

I felt the same way a long time ago when electronic music first started going mainstream. There were artists like Moby crossing over and doing pop remixes (compare that with Skrillex and Korn.)

Terrific music like Detroit techno was being completely overlooked, despite the fact that they pioneered the entire genre.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's just history repeating. If it follows the trend, the underground will either come back to reclaim it and kill off the pretenders, or dubstep will be found dead in an alley, its throat slit after being repeatedly gang raped.
Idle.
I am a visionary prophet among those before me my friend.

QUOTE (darkinvader @ 09. Sep 2009, 03:55) *
I see new nights being set up by people who don't even know the genre at all, its rich history and it's development.

The time when I realised its all just a fad was about 2 weeks ago, my mate organises a Dubstep night, and has some fucking great line-ups, safe to say he has a refined taste in dubstep.

He plays stuff by Ramadanman, Martyn, Untold, Brackles....so basically the 2 step influenced stuff.

He was playing and he dropped some beasts....about 40 people came up to him in the space of 2 hours and asked him to start playing dubstep again.

From then on I knew...Dubstep will die is a few years and become something else.

QUOTE (Glitchwerks @ 10. May 2011, 04:50) *
It's all this music that's the same, with the same sounds, and if you've been into this music long enough, you know how every scene completely burns itself out when it just relies on going through the same motions over and over again.

QUOTE (robbee @ 18. Sep 2009, 07:53) *
every genre has it's crap, and there will always be producers, djs, and dedicated people who will try to keep their own scene alive.

---

But dude you already posted here. blink.gif Perhaps the severity of the situation was not realized until now.
Glitchwerks
LOL. I know. See my first post in this thread. whistling.gif

Dubstep. The new great evil of the world. Maybe the mods should combine all the dubstep topics into one. Like a Voltron made up of short buses.
AdamNuk
QUOTE (Idle. @ 25. Jun 2011, 16:23) *
I am a visionary prophet among those before me my friend.

I see new nights being set up by people who don't even know the genre at all, its rich history and it's development.

The time when I realised its all just a fad was about 2 weeks ago, my mate organises a Dubstep night, and has some fucking great line-ups, safe to say he has a refined taste in dubstep.

He plays stuff by Ramadanman, Martyn, Untold, Brackles....so basically the 2 step influenced stuff.

He was playing and he dropped some beasts....about 40 people came up to him in the space of 2 hours and asked him to start playing dubstep again.

From then on I knew...Dubstep will die is a few years and become something else.

QUOTE (Glitchwerks @ 10. May 2011, 04:50) *
It's all this music that's the same, with the same sounds, and if you've been into this music long enough, you know how every scene completely burns itself out when it just relies on going through the same motions over and over again.

QUOTE (robbee @ 18. Sep 2009, 07:53) *
every genre has it's crap, and there will always be producers, djs, and dedicated people who will try to keep their own scene alive.

---

But dude you already posted here. blink.gif Perhaps the severity of the situation was not realized until now.

Totally agree I have like it since about 2007 and by 2009 it wasnt as bad but it was getting there but as soon as the 2010 hit thats when it all went tits up.

I am a massive fan of minimal techno and techno along with psy-trance thus have never seemed to let me down as far as I can remember following the genre.
AdamNuk
forgot to add though i'm not saying dubstep is completely shit there is some class artists knocking about you just have to sift through all the shit to find them.
itsjusttwitch
I just think the genre has been run into the ground really. I can appreciate all styles of music but i still dont like hearing the same stuff everywhere you go. Switch it up a bit it keeps things interesting.
XXhasgoneXX
bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Kingswood
nothing wrong with "christian line dancing dubstep" hope that doesnt become mainstream ffs
Idle.
QUOTE (Kingswood @ 29. Jun 2011, 05:53) *
"christian line dancing dubstep"

lmfao

I remember when Christian Dethcore was all the buzz.
fernandopassion
If you think it's all shit lately, you just need to go deeper underground with it and theres some dark grimey shit still being made. Just because some dj's have gone mainstream and blown up the dubstep scene doesn't mean that all dj's have. Still a ton of good ones out there laying low.
atrax
I'd like to say that to say although over exposure leads to styles beomceing stale and boring, It still brings a smile to my face to switch on commercial radio and hear some pop dance track. Who would of thought 15yrs ago dance music was going to get as much exposure as it has. The look on peoples faces when you told them you where going to a rave or liked underground techno was as much from lack of understanding as it was lack of exposure.

The underground dubstep hasnt gone anywhere, nor have the producers. They are just getting drowned out by all the commerical crap out there is all. So its not to say good dubstep doesnt still exsist, is just going to take some filtering and a dedicated ear.
atrax
Psy-trance?

No chance.

=)

Totally agree I have like it since about 2007 and by 2009 it wasnt as bad but it was getting there but as soon as the 2010 hit thats when it all went tits up.

I am a massive fan of minimal techno and techno along with psy-trance thus have never seemed to let me down as far as I can remember following the genre.

Xenophanes
Future Garage is doing great things with the roots of garage. Perhaps 'Future Dubstep' or 'post-dubstep' is just around the corner....wink.gif
IRMA
QUOTE (Idle. @ 29. Jun 2011, 19:52) *
QUOTE (Kingswood @ 29. Jun 2011, 05:53) *
"christian line dancing dubstep"

lmfao

I remember when Christian Dethcore was all the buzz.

LOLOL dude thats so absurd! Crazy...
kwikshot
Fubstep was "whitened" by corporate labels into being the EURHGHHH it is today. They literally somehow took all the jamaican Dub feel out of it from underneath everyone's noses and no one noticed until they looked at what they were listening to and realised that it was drastically different from the dubstep they fell in love with.

AKA. Look towards Future Garage
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.