Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations Subforum
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Flint Eastwood
We're soon opening a new subforum in Electronic Music Discussion to have a dedicated section for all the recommendations threads ('looking for artists like x' and 'introduce me to genre y', etc).
I wanted to move all the threads over the weekend but I didn't find the time yet. But over the next couple of days I'll be moving the threads over, and also trying to clean them up a bit (grouping together similar threads, compiling lists in the first post with all the recommendations/links etc).
Also I'm considering the possibility of putting up a poll in each thread so users can vote for the recommendations which they feel anwer the question best.

It's all a way of making the most of the collective passion and musical knowledge here on tT. I've found some of these threads invaluable and I hope by organising them properly more people can get something out of it.

At the moment the forum is inaccesable but it'll be live in a couple of days. And when it's up, if you can't find your thread here, you know where to look smile.gif

And if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts about the forum and how they could imagine it, I'm all ears.
DJCM
This is a brilliant idea and im really looking forward to this smile.gif
jon.b
Great! smile.gif Make something good out of it!
CosmoMemory
QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 24. May 2011, 03:14) *
Also I'm considering the possibility of putting up a poll in each thread so users can vote for the recommendations which they feel anwer the question best.

thumbsup.gif
dextrous88
Brilliant idea, should really help a lot of people biggrin.gif
DeeW NO EviL
yes very good idea

i did however get a puzzling pm about how a post i made a good month ago is being moved into a section that doesn't yet exist <-- this new section

gl everyone, cheers
Shizballs
this needs to be news. also you might want to have it be multiple answers but limited to like 3. not sure if that could work, but it's hard for me to pick one artist even if it's for a particular type of sound
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (Shizballs @ 31. May 2011, 07:39) *
also you might want to have it be multiple answers but limited to like 3. not sure if that could work, but it's hard for me to pick one artist even if it's for a particular type of sound

My idea was more that you could vote for as many as you liked. Say for example somebody asks for an artist similar to x and somebody posts up a few artists, some more similar than others. People should vote for the ones they feel are the most similar and that best answer the question rather than the ones they like the most. The ones which people generally agree best answer the question should then get more votes overall. This will hopefully more accurate than say, Similar Artists on Last.FM and this kind of thing. They work by seeing which artists converge in most in peoples' libraries, or the artist themself saying they're similar for promotional purposes in the Control Panel, rather than people actually agreeing on it.

Of course, if somebody asks "what are the best techno tunes of all time" then your favourite and and the best answer would be one and the same.
nicolux
QUOTE (Flint Eastwood @ 01. Jun 2011, 15:31) *
QUOTE (Shizballs @ 31. May 2011, 07:39) *
also you might want to have it be multiple answers but limited to like 3. not sure if that could work, but it's hard for me to pick one artist even if it's for a particular type of sound

My idea was more that you could vote for as many as you liked. Say for example somebody asks for an artist similar to x and somebody posts up a few artists, some more similar than others. People should vote for the ones they feel are the most similar and that best answer the question rather than the ones they like the most. The ones which people generally agree best answer the question should then get more votes overall. This will hopefully more accurate than say, Similar Artists on Last.FM and this kind of thing. They work by seeing which artists converge in most in peoples' libraries, or the artist themself saying they're similar for promotional purposes in the Control Panel, rather than people actually agreeing on it.

Of course, if somebody asks "what are the best techno tunes of all time" then your favourite and and the best answer would be one and the same.

Hi guys,

sorry for not going with the flow, but it seems to me that probably 90% of the topics in Electronic Music discussions could be seen as 'recommendations'... Thats why I don't really see the point... no.gif

Flint Eastwood
Not really. I'd say it's about 50-50. Lots of posts like "Fuck Berghain" and "Dubstep is over" etc. Even if it is 90% then keeping the other 10% seperate would still help to keep things more easily browsable and better archived for people looking for similar recommendations. But 90% is definitely not true. I know because I just went through the first few pages of the forum and moved about half of the threads. wink.gif Okay, maybe closer to 60-40 actually, but still it's pretty balanced.
xioled
curious biggrin.gif
Slankoe
This site just keeps getting more and more awesome. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.