Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Genres
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Shizballs
Which genres do you listen to? Have you tried them all? Surely you didn't give up after just one or two you didn't dig, and surely you tried sorting by completed downloads and downloading the torrents that most people liked, right? I got into electronic music by electro house and dubsteps/dnb. Thanks to torrentech and the DJ's I am a big fan of teh breakbeats and teh minimal technos. Got a few gems out side of the aforementioned spectrums as well biggrin.gif
Kolor
House music all night long ... I refuse to pigeon hole more than that.
viraltech
a what?

whistling.gif
Re-Drum
I can't hate a genre. but I hate sounds (some of them)
DJCM
I dont hate any genre, but some i do dislike.

Its just narrow minded to say you hate something just because..............
spectra
Started out not really knowing much about tech house. As a moderator, I quite disliked it. Now, in my post-mod, post-radio state, I'm actually dropping it from time to time in sets. Contrasted with highly-percussive 2-step/funky/juke/garage vibes, it works great! There's a lot of tech house influence in the peripheries of the artists I love too. Matthew Herbert's One Club took a lot of inspiration from tech house and techno, and it's one of the best albums of 2010 IMO. It's not that I love the genre. A straight tech house set will get me to detune in a few tracks unless the selector is superb. My point is simply that the genre-ignoring, dance-music-universalist side of me is winning.

Tiger blood.

As for the close-minded part, the trick is to be open-minded, but not so open-minded all your brains fall out. If that makes me close-minded, then so be it.
Shizballs
QUOTE (Canar @ 05. Apr 2011, 12:52) *
Started out not really knowing much about tech house. As a moderator, I quite disliked it. Now, in my post-mod, post-radio state, I'm actually dropping it from time to time in sets. Contrasted with highly-percussive 2-step/funky/juke/garage vibes, it works great! There's a lot of tech house influence in the peripheries of the artists I love too. Matthew Herbert's One Club took a lot of inspiration from tech house and techno, and it's one of the best albums of 2010 IMO. It's not that I love the genre. A straight tech house set will get me to detune in a few tracks unless the selector is superb. My point is simply that the genre-ignoring, dance-music-universalist side of me is winning.

Tiger blood.

As for the close-minded part, the trick is to be open-minded, but not so open-minded all your brains fall out. If that makes me close-minded, then so be it.

Best reply right here biggrin.gif I will have to tune into that sometime. I will be checking out that album. I just think music is pretty simple, rhythm and melody, I think it's easy to appreciate any type of music. It might not be your favorite, but it's worth a shot. And all music sounds fucking awesome on psychedelics. I know the sets I was listening to on NYE were blowing my goddamn mind woot.gif
Shizballs
QUOTE (Kolor @ 05. Apr 2011, 10:58) *
House music all night long ... I refuse to pigeon hole more than that.

I bet you would like this. http://www.torrentech.org/index.php?showtopic=80660
It's chilled and flowy. Lots of rhythm. I probably could see it mixed into house
u4got2wipe
I love me some house more than anything else in the world. In the late 90's DJ's like Doc Martin, Mark Farina, Garth, Jeno, Sneak, DJ Heather and Derrick Carter hooked me for good. At the same time one of my favorite mix CD's of all time is Sandra Collins' Lost in Time, i've got a few crates full of breaks, i go see LTJ Bukem every single time he's in town and imo Carl Cox is the greatest headliner on the face of the Earth. I wouldn't say i hate any genre explicitly but dubstep and dutch style electro are definitely are at the bottom of the "like" list.

Wait....i do hate one genre of music. Fucking smooth jazz...it's the devils music.
IRMA
As for favorite... Deep and minimal all the way. I love hypnotic repetitive beats without melody, or with very simple ones (also loving filter delay effect), in dance music slowly continuously changing tracks of the kind of course.
Freeze - Foreseen (Dubstep)
Dietrich Schoenemann And Tony Roh - Stovepipe (Metalogic remix) for techno, I have posted it here like thousand times cause I love this track so much
The MFA - The Difference It Makes neo-trance
Amon Tobin- Theme from Battery downtempo...
I am into any genre there is, I believe in every genre there could be some beautiful gems hidden. Even in the mainstream. Problem is that when you are into everything, you know a little from everything, but nothing properly. So I'm getting into deep dubstep now, which I dig as fuck, and when i get enough I will move to minimal techno. Also going thru neo-trance labels when in mood, so these are probably my most fav styles atm. And I like dark heavy stuff as well.

What i really can't be listening to is probably that vocal radio shit, that is appearing in dubstep a lot now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r26y--evIw I love way darker stuff. I guess I am not into melodic stuff at all.

Edit: Oh yeah, and experimental. I really love experimental, that's what got me to edm. Glitch and such. Alva Noto is the man.
Infrasound
All the genres! thumbsup.gif
FloodSpectre
I've been into ambient, IDM and industrial for years now, but thanks to torrentech and last.fm I've really begun to develop a taste for psy-* and dub techno. Industrial is definitely what really got me started on electronic music, the older stuff really made for a good bridge from my metal tastes. I really don't have a lot of listening experience outside of those three genres though.

On the other hand, I can't stand hardcore or certain styles of female vocals in my electronic. I gave Burial a listen not too long ago and the vocal work really grated at me.
constantG
The only thing I hate is the fact that it's all genrefied and pigeonholed in the first place. Ma foot starts tappin when I hear a beat and it don't stop til it's finished.

Done. smile.gif
Spliffmix
I heard Flying Lotus is saying the genre is dying. But seriously, there will always be ways to describe the base elements and grooves.
Idle.
Apparently I'm a heathen to dubstep for enjoying dubstep, and lately I've been a heathen to dubstep for enjoying some drumstep ninja.gif

The language of music is biochemical, not english or spanish, me gusta lo que me gusta esse, so run and tell that, homeboy.
jon.b
Hi, I'd probably be a close minded fuck in your eyes, but I don't give a dime.

I have the impression a lot of those people that call themselves open minded are just pretentious. I mean, those people seem to think there taste is superior and they're smarter just because they to listen to a variety of genres: than you'd be open minded, whereas, if you listen to the mainly the same style, you're by definition close minded. I don't think it is correct. I listen mainly to tech house and similar styles if I have the choice. But does that mean I can't enjoy other music? Not at all. When I'm in my car for example, there isn't a quality dance station, so I turn out to listen mostly to Studio Brussel, an alternative rock radio. If they play a stupid song, I switch to the more poppy radio stations, to eighties music or even to classical music. I can also enjoy some "experimental" music like drone, or glitch. So I don't think I'm close minded. It just turns out that the tunes that get me hooked and I want to listen time after time are in the same style. (But not always.) Sometimes I download some good indie, disco or ... music, but most of the time I'll return to the good old tech-house.

I could also retort the question? Or you close minded because you don't listen to flamenco, Arab and panflute music? Or are you just not interested if you don't, because the sound doesn't grab you?

It's all a stupid idea in my opinion. Just listen to music if you enjoy it, and don't listen to it if you don't. (I'm not saying you shouldn't try at all. I discovered some good music I didn't understand immediately. But with other music, no matter how much I try, I can say it is well produced, but still can't enjoy it (Richie Hawtin for example or dub house).) What is the purpose of trying to listen to genres of music that don't appeal to you? Why not spend that time listening and exploring the music you know you really like? Isn't the purpose of music after all to enjoy it, and not trying to feel open minded? So, as long as I can find quality techno and house, I'll be listening to that. And if all good producers stopped, I'd listen to something else.

Secondly I have the impression the pretentious, so called open minded people, for example on YouTube, think that other people only listen to the same style because it is a certain genre (and than most of the time they begin shitting that genres shouldn't exist...) It is a silly idea, at least for me. I think people listen to a certain kind of music because there are some elements in music they enjoy most. For me it is upbeat, melodic, some emotion or creating an atmosphere you didn't felt before, new synth sounds,... And it turns out that that's actually what (decent) tech-house is good at. But also some dubstep, some house, some electro. And some tech house on the contrary is pretty boring to me. That I want those elements in music explains also why, I guess, I'll never enjoy dub house, or minimal techno for example (even when I can understand why people think it's a good track), just cause it has always the same athmosphere and no melody. Than, other people that prefer good lyrics and slower music would listen to more singer-songwriter music, and other who like aggression and stupidness, would listen to jump.
Shizballs
QUOTE (jon.b @ 17. Apr 2011, 17:57) *
*Essay*

You are closed minded if you don't try. There's gonna be a lot of stuff you can't dig, but there are always gems to be found! biggrin.gif
Idle.
QUOTE (Shizballs @ 18. Apr 2011, 07:21) *
there are always gems to be found!

http://youtu.be/Q97c5szTgIA
Stevozz
i hate speedcore, that shit is ridonkulously retarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBGeSIEEvks

fuckin joke genre yucky.gif
Shizballs
QUOTE (Stevozz @ 27. Apr 2011, 14:26) *
i hate speedcore, that shit is ridonkulously retarded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBGeSIEEvks

fuckin joke genre yucky.gif

Take more drugs, you'll like it
Nav
Lets start with the genres I love. I like, or enjoy listening to:
Jungle/Oldschool (All of it)
House (that can be danced to)
Drum N Bass (except modern Pendulum/rockbandcrap)
Hardcore (all forms made in the UK, the dutch stuff doesn't appeal to me except the early Ruffneck)
Chill Dubstep (and even some of the energetic stuff if it's good)
UK Garage
Disco
Breaks
Trance (if not too longwinded)
Downtempo/Ambient
Cool 80s music
Jazz (just don't get too abstract weirdness)
Funk
Progressive Rock

I don't hate very many genres. I like a lot of music, and most of the rest I can tolerate. In fact, I can only think of three that I don't like. But I really do hate them.
1. (number 1 on the hatred list, most hated) Deep Minimal Tech. For real. I hate this stuff. It does nothing. The DJs don't even bother with track selection cause every track sounds the same. Imagine 8 hours of it. It's the only genre that makes me reconsider liking electronic music. I'm not even kidding, I simply cannot stand deep minimal tech. It doesn't make me want to dance. It doesn't make me interested in listening to it. There is literally no positive feature I can think of except for teaching kids how to DJ without any prior experience and VDJ + torrents. Also, the elitist uber-pidgeonholed culture surrounding it disgusts me. There was once some good stuff here - Underworld, for example - but it's 95% gone now, with the other 5% fitting in context with unrelated genres (as Canar said earlier).

2. Popular House. I'd rather listen to this stuff than Deep Minimal Tech (known hereafter as mnml), but it does irk me how the sounds I've grown to love have become mainstream to the point of hitting top 40 slots. But I prefer to look on the bright side - the music sucks, but at least it's getting people into electronic music, and some will probably go on to expand their tastes and to bring more diversity and culture to dance music. Others will just keep right on listening to pop music. So there's really nothing to HATE here except the artists and the producers who use the sound. But they'll tire of it in a few years, and house will be back to where it was.

3. "Bro"step. I don't really hate the genre, but what it has become, where the kids who previously would go to jam bands are now picking up this stuff as though they knew what it was and where it came from (where in reality they have no clue). Also it just sounds like noise + subbass to me, with a kick and a snare every few beats.

(This doesn't really count, but I hate the hipster electro stuff because of the same elitist culture surrounding it that surrounds mnml, and the kids with their hornrimmed glasses telling me about the best concept album ever. These are the same kids who argue vinyl is higher fidelity and sit at Starbucks with their overpriced Macbooks)

Disagree with me. Most of you probably will. But I don't care - I just hope you understand my point now. I'll explain it again if you still don't understand how I can possibly hate mnml.
pyn
I don't really like genres. I tend to tell people I mostly listen to electronic music, because it's the equivalent of saying "I mostly listen to classical."

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an awareness of the cultures that have spawned different styles, forged new sounds, and shifted paradigms. I'm all for music history education. I'm all for proliferation of a semantic vocabulary of musical style. But the pigeonholing that often happens with genre labels is pitiful.

In my opinion, you aren't close-minded if you know what you like and stick to it, you're close-minded if you believe everything you don't like isn't worth liking.

Anyway, I like music. I'm glad for you if you like music too. I encourage you to examine what kind of sounds you like and why. If you're feeling expansive, push your comfort levels with sounds that are new or different or unfamiliar. That is all.
Shizballs
QUOTE (Nav @ 30. Apr 2011, 13:47) *
I prefer to look on the bright side - the music sucks, but at least it's getting people into electronic music, and some will probably go on to expand their tastes and to bring more diversity and culture to dance music.

Yes, exactly. When I started to like electronic music, there were short periods of time where I listened to a couple Tiesto and Benny Benassi tracks, but eventually it lead me to digging deeper into the genre.

QUOTE (Nav @ 30. Apr 2011, 13:47) *
I don't really hate the genre, but what it has become, where the kids who previously would go to jam bands are now picking up this stuff as though they knew what it was and where it came from (where in reality they have no clue). Also it just sounds like noise + subbass to me, with a kick and a snare every few beats.

Yeah, us 'counterculture' types tend to hate things that all the hipsters like. Or just stuff that people overrate the fuck out of. I never read twilight, but I know I hate it because of how much I hate their stupid fucking fans lol

QUOTE (pyneapple @ 30. Apr 2011, 19:18) *
In my opinion, you aren't close-minded if you know what you like and stick to it, you're close-minded if you believe everything you don't like isn't worth liking.

Definitely, it's not 'better' to listen to all styles of music, because if you have developed a sense of preference (which is essential to your specific 'personality' for music) than you shouldn't really be able to listen to 'everything'. There is a need for hybrids and pure-breeds.
Idle.
I like Ke$ha, am I a closed minded fuck? I wouldn't dare go to one of her shows, all those teenage screams in my ears, just the thought of it hurts.
Nav
QUOTE (Idle. @ 30. Apr 2011, 19:26) *
I like Ke$ha, am I a closed minded fuck? I wouldn't dare go to one of her shows, all those teenage screams in my ears, just the thought of it hurts.

When I visited Pittsburgh (where I'm going to college), there was a big crowd and some house music playing. I asked "what's up?" and got the reply of "oh, Ke$ha is playing soon!"

Needless to say I left the area immediately. sick.gif
jayzn
i listen to one genre of music... it's called "good".

i avoid that other genre "bad"
Shizballs
QUOTE (Idle. @ 30. Apr 2011, 19:26) *

lol is that all you listen to? Do you make attempts to listen to others? Are you a closed minded fuck?!

QUOTE (jayzn @ 01. May 2011, 00:41) *
i listen to one genre of music... it's called "good".

i avoid that other genre "bad"

biggrin.gif
pyc
...constraining yourself to predominately consume just one genre makes sense only if you're aiming to be pro dj/producer in that genre. and it makes some sense because there is possibility then to become an expert in that field. as for me, i really enjoy all types of music... as re-drum said, i just hate some instruments. rarely i find accordion to be sounding good enough for me, i just don't like the sound of it. ... just take a look at my sets, there are almost all styles of electronic music there, and i just like it that way.

a word about electronic music classification here in torrents subforum: i consider it to be important part of what the site is today. it's not too specific and not too broad, it's just right... ain't it? someone maybe has some suggestion about it?
FloodSpectre
QUOTE (pyc @ 01. May 2011, 01:10) *
rarely i find accordion to be sounding good enough for me, i just don't like the sound of it.

Neither did I, until I started listening to Finntroll and other folk metal bands...
Shizballs
QUOTE (pyc @ 01. May 2011, 02:10) *
...constraining yourself to predominately consume just one genre makes sense only if you're aiming to be pro dj/producer in that genre. and it makes some sense because there is possibility then to become an expert in that field. as for me, i really enjoy all types of music... as re-drum said, i just hate some instruments. rarely i find accordion to be sounding good enough for me, i just don't like the sound of it. ... just take a look at my sets, there are almost all styles of electronic music there, and i just like it that way.

a word about electronic music classification here in torrents subforum: i consider it to be important part of what the site is today. it's not too specific and not too broad, it's just right... ain't it? someone maybe has some suggestion about it?

I find that it could be a little more specific, but I don't see how. An easy solution I have found is search for two genres, and you can usually find stuff in between. Other than that, if you have a good sense of the artists you like, and how to search them via tT, youtube, blogs, what have you, than you should be good to go biggrin.gif
IRMA
I discovered I find nothing interesting for me in non-electronic music lately... For example I immediately turn off all in all acoustic guitar tracks (do not dare to put vocals into it!). Or hiphop sampled of violin and strings or so, can't find any interest in it, I need some part of the music to be electronic; probably except for percussion drums. I have not played non-electronic track on my sound system for like half a year at least.

I think it is great idea to create genres actually. When you look for similar stuff in general you can always search by sub-genres. Just don't get this sub-sub-labeling too far. Not every sound needs it's genre.
Shizballs
QUOTE (IRMA @ 01. May 2011, 14:20) *
I discovered I find nothing interesting for me in non-electronic music lately... I have not played non-electronic track on my sound system for like half a year at least.

Duude me too, except the occasional Pink Floyd. If I wasn't big on it before, I don't care about it now.
Slankoe
Every track ever made is it's own genre, whether i like it or not depends on how i think and feel and what I'm doing. Actually, there's no such thing as genres.

Just kidding I really like techno and jungle and trance.

... and hardcore, and 2-step and house...
Idle.
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 17. Jan 2012, 19:09) *
Every track ever made is it's own genre

EVERY SECOND OF EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE
EVERY NOTE IN EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE
EVERY RECEPTOR INPUTTING EVERY SECOND OF EVERY NOTE IN EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE

HOLD ON LET ME ADJUST MY GLASSES,

MY MICROCOSM IS BIGGER THAN YOURS
IRMA
QUOTE (Idle. @ 18. Jan 2012, 05:33) *
QUOTE (Slankoe @ 17. Jan 2012, 19:09) *
Every track ever made is it's own genre

EVERY SECOND OF EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE
EVERY NOTE IN EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE
EVERY RECEPTOR INPUTTING EVERY SECOND OF EVERY NOTE IN EVERY TRACK IS ITS OWN GENRE

HOLD ON LET ME ADJUST MY GLASSES,

MY MICROCOSM IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

lol biggrin.gif
Slankoe
Idle has got the right idea XD
Ghetotblaster
I dig everything, except Psy. Just can't get into it.
pyc
...and when you once get into psy, you realise it's much more giving in some senses than any other genre... and it's sort of my "top genr" for some time smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.