Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parties & Events vs. The Human Condition
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
chumly
You can plan a perfect event. Down to every detail: Restrooms, police, showers, water, emergency services, parking, sound, lighting, etc. What can't you plan on? What can you plan on?

People are going to do stupid things. At EDC, someone "stupidly" let an underage person in. It happened. You can plan on that happening. What can you do about it in a sea of people? Nothing. People were jumping fences and rushing your security. You can only stop so much of that. You can try to stop it all, you can't stop all of it.

As an attendee to a festival, what are you responsible for? Firstly, you are becoming a member of the sea of people. You cannot account for every decision that every other member of your group is going to make. It is therefore your choice to put yourself at risk, and not the choice of anyone else. If you are taking drugs or drinking, you better be prepared to take responsibility for your choice. Stupid shit happens when you take a drink, pop a pill, do a line, or even smoke a bowl (I've made little mistakes, myself). So any choice made by any individual or individuals can snowball, and ultimately you can pay the price for it, your choice or no.

This isn't strictly pertaining to electronic music events. People die of heat exhaustion at local town fairs/parades. People die at rock shows. People die at soccer games. People die driving to/from events. It happens. You are mortal, respect that. It's the human condition.

In any given day, 300,000 people die. With 7 billions coinhabitants, that means that 3 out of 70000 people are going to die, every single day. You cannot stop it. There were 500,000 people at the love parade. Statistically speaking (not taking into account demographic and region, of course), 21 deaths are expected in a 24 hour period with that many people. 15 people died. Who is to blame? The promoter? The city for allowing it? The music? The drugs?

No one can or should be blamed. It is an impossible finger to point. We can learn from a tragic mistake, and hopefully not repeat it in the future. Because that too is the human condition. We gain knowledge. We can prepare. We can make responsible choices. However, many a man would agree, a life with no risk is not a life worth living. Do NOT be a hypochondriac and shut away your fellow man. Unite like we always do: for cause, for sharing with one another, or for fun. It's what we do. It's what we should do. Just do it with a healthy respect for the human condition. Because shit is going to go down, whether you want it to or not. There's nothing we can do. Every loss is tragic. Pray. Celebrate. Live your life free and fully, cause I truly believe that these people would want it that way.
Psynaut
I really hope Love Parade continues to go on after these events in the coming years. Sure the human condition is apparent every day in our lives, but it seems that more and more the human condition is what is causing festivals and everything else to become more governed by strict policies/laws/rules. I don't know about many people but I go to festivals to experience the freedom I feel when at these festivals, and the overall positive energy that people bring to them. If an event like this sparks the end of some larger scale events I will be very saddened as they are a marvel of our condition to come together as a race and enjoy everyone's company and musicality.
maroko
Hey chumly that is very well laid out hypothesis, and to a certain extent I cannot but agree, but unfortunately tragedies such as this one are way more than accurate statistics and meticulously calculated percentages...

It's not about math and decimals, it's about the message and the image projected throughout the world. When 19 people die in a suicide attack in Baghdad, people don't go "19 out of the total 1200 that die every day, well 3 die each second regardless, so there's no one to blame, and they should have been ready for it anyways!"

As you correctly stated, the human error can hardly ever be anticipated, and taken into account for, but if we rely too much on the "who's to blame" and "we each have to prepare for reactions that will be the outcome of our original action" theories, then many misdemeanors could be interpreted the wrong way, and guilty parties could be absolved.

The tunnels were overcrowded, the event hosted more people than anyone could have anticipated, and all they did was open an additional gate to the main arena. Too many people without oxygen stuffed like sardines next to each other in a place where air is a luxury - that is an organizational error, and the responsible ones will have to answer some questions in front of an investigating commitee, naturally.
Nineteen dead people, suffocated and stomped to death is not a be-responsible-for-your-own-self situation, it's a tragedy, and due to a so-called chain of command (or responsibility), certain individuals will have to carry that burden on their backs. When you have over three hundred injured people, struggling for air and what not, then trying to play the "who can be prepared for everything?" card isn't really something I'm willing to go along with.

Don't get me wrong, there are certain aspects of what you wrote that I fully agree with, but the least they can do here is admit an unforgivable gap in the organization, and call it quits. Authorities, at all times, have to be aware of the capacities of their infrastructure. If more people are coming than originally expected, you cannot have three people sitting in one chair during a movie projection in a cinema, can you? Unless you want some serious trouble. Here, there were about 15 people per seat, and I find it very hard to believe that no one knew what was bound to happen. If not that, since we're not all Nostradamus' sons, history has countless times taught us that if you crowd too many people in an area which just cannot contain them all in an adequate manner - all hell breaks loose.
electrospek
ninja.gif been a while
TeknowledgeLA
I wrote something the other day that started as a piece about my growing up in the scene but quickly (ADD stylee) morphed into a reflection of what happened to the underground and community/responsible partying.. hope you dig

... Injected with a poison at the age of 16.
Found in any and alls - downtown warehouses 'n shopping malls from 1st to 15th.
Runnin amuck out partying past when late becomes early, gettin down & dirty - that's better living through circuitry
If ya feelin' me meet up the map point, check your E-mail.
Follow the yellow brick road, close attention to detail

2.8 miles had your odometer reset, time to pop in that R.A.W cassette
sit back smoke your cigarette blazin through the desert trails
is it the journey or the destination - those all-nite fairy tales

Arrivin' at the space, make sure to "Leave No Trace"
Your senses fueled, that warmest embrace
deep inside the place that's forever governed by bass
One Love. Out on the dancefloor the most freedom found anywhere...
Dont forget leave a donation at the door, support with what you can spare, now thats fair

Unlike these faux shows, promoters stoopin so lows, slapped stickers on anything that glows $$
It's the underground kids, golden tickets aint sold retail!
If its our culture, why's it all up for sale? "Raving" just another manufactured fuckin' fairy tale...

There may not be much left to redeem, it may seem. Wake me from this lucid dream, to look up and see E D C up on the silver screen, kids barely sixteen seeking methamphetamines rolling up limousines for dudes in DJ Magazine

What happened to Tangerine dreams and mescalines bouncin' off of trampolines in that Yellow Submarine?
Wake up LA! Grab the kerosene and light em up if you give a fuck
Bout time we took back this scene!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.