Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dubstep Subgenres
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
spectra
I've been going through a tagging renaissance lately. I've realized that I have way too much dubstep, and I'm trying to draw meaningful distinctions between it all. So far, there are about four (five?) subcategories that fall easily out of my collection:
  • Dub dubstep. Reggae influence, few highs on the bass, light on the hats. Eg. Breakage - Higher
  • "Neuro" dubstep (aka "brostep"). Heavy, aggressive basslines that have a lot of high-frequency content. Hyphy percussion. Futuristic feel. I call it "Neuro" because it reminds me of neurofunk DnB and the pejorative "Brostep" pisses me off. Eg. Downlink - Gamma Ray Burst
  • Purple dubstep. Melodic, progressive, electro-tinged. Not extremely distorted. Eg. Joker - Purple City
  • Wonky dubstep. Highly-psychedelic samples with lots of weird warping. Lots of crossover with wonky/experimental hip-hop. Eg. Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo
  • Chip dubstep. Heavy chiptune influence. Some crossover with the "Wonky dubstep" category above. Eg. Cardopusher - Homeless [Quarta330 Remix]

Are there any distinctions people can meaningfully make? How do you subdivide dubstep?
Infrasound
QUOTE (Canar @ 23. Apr 2010, 19:35) *
I've been going through a tagging renaissance lately. I've realized that I have way too much dubstep, and I'm trying to draw meaningful distinctions between it all. So far, there are about four (five?) subcategories that fall easily out of my collection:
  • Dub dubstep. Reggae influence, few highs on the bass, light on the hats. Eg. Breakage - Higher
  • "Neuro" dubstep (aka "brostep"). Heavy, aggressive basslines that have a lot of high-frequency content. Hyphy percussion. Futuristic feel. I call it "Neuro" because it reminds me of neurofunk DnB and the pejorative "Brostep" pisses me off. Eg. Downlink - Gamma Ray Burst
  • Purple dubstep. Melodic, progressive, electro-tinged. Not extremely distorted. Eg. Joker - Purple City
  • Wonky dubstep. Highly-psychedelic samples with lots of weird warping. Lots of crossover with wonky/experimental hip-hop. Eg. Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo
  • Chip dubstep. Heavy chiptune influence. Some crossover with the "Wonky dubstep" category above. Eg. Cardopusher - Homeless [Quarta330 Remix]

Are there any distinctions people can meaningfully make? How do you subdivide dubstep?

I would say theres like 3 subgenres, Grimed Dubstep (as anything similar to liquid stranger - alert), Dub Dubstep (Some reggae influenced dubstep) and the ambient dubstep (such as scuba, F, and similar..)

But that's my opinion.
spectra
Excellent, that's exactly one of the sorts of responses I was looking for here. Thanks Infra.
noxmad
You're gonna end up with personal opinion based lists of genres.

For example you think joy orbison is wonky, but he's more funky dubstep with house and garage influences.

Starkey is a better example for wonky since he basically kicked off the subgenre, ofcourse you have flying lotus but thats wonky / experimental hiphop.

Then there's progressive dubstep and experimental dubstep. Good times.

I skipped the chainsaw rape dubstep tunes since I don't listen to them.

For me there are two types of Dubstep:
Experimental Dubstep (Which is split into a ton of sub genres in my head but explaining them takes too long), Everything else.

The tunes are easier to describe by their influences than by putting a subgenre infront of the word Dubstep.

Someone add an influences tag to the metadata tongue.gif
spectra
QUOTE (noxmad @ 24. Apr 2010, 09:03) *
You're gonna end up with personal opinion based lists of genres.
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I'm trying to find the ways in which people partition the "dubstep space" if you will. I'm trying to tag it and there are definitely distinctions that can be made, but making them is hard. The community at large has no currently-defined subgenres, short of perhaps "brostep" and around tT radio, "dub dubstep". I'm trying to be proactive here.

Experimental Dubstep (Which is split into a ton of sub genres in my head but explaining them takes too long)
I would absolutely love a glimpse into how you define these sub genres. I know it's difficult, but this is exactly the sort of partitioning I'm looking for. I don't need an essay, just a rough sketch. I'm really good at filling in the blanks!
Lithiumtk
Dubstep really has no subgenres. It's now a general term. If it's new, experimental, a bit wierd then people call it dubstep. I've seen a lot of releases placed in the dubstep category because it is influenced in a small way by dubstep. As i've said, people pushed the term dubstep so far that the pioneers now don't even want to be labeled as making dubstep.

As Nox said i would categorize it by influences rather than give it silly names like glitchstep electrostep whatever. But I've got an even better ideea, why not listen to music instead of trying to categorize it to such extent? The sounds that have emerged out of the whole "dubstep era" are simply fantastic.

BTW Nox you're not a DJ anymore?
CitizenKane
What about techno-dubstep, like Martyn, Headhunter, etc?
MikMakMan
I have labeled 4 subgenres of dubstep:

Dubstep / Ambient: e.g. Burial, Clubroot, Kryptic Minds
Dubstep / Glitch: e.g. Zomby, Ikonika, LV, Quarta 330, Kupa
Dubstep / Techno: e.g. Martyn, Headhunter
Dubstep / Filth: e.g. 16bit, Excision, Borgore, Datsik, Flux Pavilion

I'm still in doubt how to label artists like Untold, Scuba, James Blake, Mount Kimbie, Joy Orbison: ambient or techno or something else?
Harry
dubstep is indeed a very general description of a genre that is adopting sounds from across the electronic spectrum.

but all these definitions simply don't exist.

there are 3 broad catagories.

dub(step)

post garage

2 step

these three genres over lap each other enormously. combining these genres creates the broad sound that is dubstep.
militiauk
Dubstep has splayed off into too many different directions to be able to neatly fit each different sound into a corresponding subgenre IMO. From the deep, sub-driven productions of Digital Mystikz and Kryptic Minds to the UKF and House influenced sounds of Shortstuff and Bok Bok. With dozens of different styles in between. I've always found it pretty pointless trying to over classify and pigeonhole music, a lot of it is down to personal opinion and taste.
spectra
Apparently some people missed the part here where I said I was interested in seeing how people subcategorize it. I don't care about all the haters who think that it's pointless or dumb or whatever.

If you're not here to share how you see dubstep can be split into subgenres, please go elsewhere.
sharks512
the only way i categorize my tunes is by color in serato.

green - early shit. chill, experimental, dubby, etc
red - late night bangers. any "brostep" (try to avoid it) would go in this category as well as any super hype, late night party shit
yellow - everything else. tunes i can mix with dubby shit to change it up or tunes i can mix with the harder shit to bring it down a notch but not all the way
androidgeoff
Dubstep has 3 subcategories, to me.
There is the dub-influenced dubstep that came before all the other types. This has no name to me other than dubstep.
There is the wobbly, aggressive type that I just call dubstep as well.
Then there are the artists like 2562 and Appleblim. Sure their stuff is influenced by dub but they make much more spacial stuff that is relaxed. I've heard the term "chillstep" and I like that.
Sik
QUOTE (CitizenKane @ 27. Apr 2010, 00:17) *
What about techno-dubstep, like Martyn, Headhunter, etc?

Scuba and Joy Orbison definitely Ambient, I go with same categories as you.
Mr. Penguin
I kind of class it by how angry it is I guess. Like heavy dubstep (brostep kind of feel, really loud and dirty) then medium dubstep (reggae sounding, psychadelic-esque) and ambient dubstep (soothing and light / simple)
susu
"susu dgaf" but to be honest, i do. I honestly just don't choose to categorize it. It's dubstep pure and simple to me. You must know your artists / producers in my final opinion.

SelassieI

jamaica.gif
feiticeira
Anyone else ever listened to any Lovestep?

Sepalcure, Joy Orbison, some Mount Kimbie, recent Ramadanman, Roof Light, etc.

It's characterized by tones that are dark but not angry, almost more emo, utilizing chopped up soul vocal samples mostly from mid 90's house, etc. Generally pretty smooth, it's not too ambient, nor too tech/glitchy, but both are definitely present in the mix.

Some video links:
Sepalcure - Feeling That I Know So Well - http://vimeo.com/6472109
Sepalcure - Every Day of My Life - http://vimeo.com/8805059
Joy Orbison - GR Etiquette - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciWvygdD7Qw
South East Soul - Lust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tts2jQSYtBU
noxmad
The term lovestep is pretty funny. I guess emotional dubstep doesn't have the same ring. The fact is it's been around for years now, way way before people started trying to categorise it and a lot of the old classics have been forgotten because they weren't around when people started trying to put the into a sub-genre. If people merely use the term lovestep to relate to any dubstep track that is emotional with the occasional use of vocals then i'd be ok with it.

http://www.getdarker.com/articles/lovestep/

Wonder if anyone using the term lovestep even knows about darkstar wink.gif
pandaahh
its growing and blowing up so fast im interested to see what is left once the hype settles...
FUGLYnPHAT
And in the filthy corner: http://soundcloud.com/cog-2/gash-metal-vol-1

It hits the spot for me. From an ex metal / dnb head. To each their own.

By the way, any comments on the mix would be appreciated (the obvious human errors aside). ninja.gif
jayzn
2girls1cupstep
Resonance
I just see the term dubstep as a template.

I mean if we spent all our time deciding which pieces of instruments make a song sound as if it were influenced or similar sounding to techno or house we'd be here forever.

All songs and artists are different so branding them is a task, as one persons perception is different to another.

Most artists say they see the genre as a template aswell.

For me dubstep is a tempo, and all the sounds crossing over eachother, taking influence from rock, tech or whatever are all just music that can be branded with the dubstep genre tag.
LostInTheRush
I am sorting my dubstep collection with these categories:
Deep/Steppy = Headhunter, Benga, TRG, Digital Mystikz, etc.
Filthy = Excision, Funtcase, Shekel, Flux Pavillion, etc.
Tech = 2562, Pinch, etc.
Wonky = Flying Lotus, Mount Kimbie, Rustie, Gemmy, etc.

That works pretty fine for me..
HypeHype
What kind of dubstep would people class tracks such as baltimore clap by benga, has that kind of jump up feel.
IRMA
I tried to categorize all my music in the same way, but, since I am able to listen to pretty much any electronic genre there is to find, and I have on my pc everything from ambient, glitch, wonky, skweee, chill to trance, techno, house, break, jungle, hardcore and of course grime, dubstep, hiphop, glitchhop and so on, I tried to do exact opposite, to connect them to a few folders, because I discovered, that I have problems to place and then find music in such complicated system, and I had to search for one track in many folders to find it (not to mention mistakes i made when deciding where to put releases).. i now have three huge folders: dub (downtempo), break, techno. It is all I need.

But, if I was to divide dubstep, I'd say:
Hard - Medison ft. Skrein - Harry (Bare Noize Remix), Datsik,... including brostep of course
Halfstep - using drumnbass kits and sounds, I don't think this subgenre can still be thought of simply as part of DnB only, VENT
Experimental - kidna Glitchy, chiptune and stuff, Eskmo, Akira Kiteshi
Chill - Reso - Namida (many of you called it ambient here, I'd define it with focus on deep peaceful bass and atmospheric sounds)
IRMA
Hey, first 6 topics in this forum are about dubstep.. Guys, let's go and discuss psychill or something instead! biggrin.gif
ProfessorWobblesWerth
Chill - Reso - Namida (many of you called it ambient here, I'd define it with focus on deep peaceful bass and atmospheric sounds)

reso is chill??
IRMA
QUOTE (ProfessorWobblesWerth @ 11. Oct 2010, 08:04) *

reso is chill??

I added one track as an example, not the whole artist's production. Oh, I meant Chill out smile.gif
robbee
NOOO don't compare brostep with Neurofunk, that would be an insult for Neurofunk tongue.gif
IRMA
ermm.gif unsure.gif sad.gif wallbash.gif

Ok, i don't like to listen to that sub~ anyway smile.gif Brostep will have it's own category biggrin.gif
robbee
I'd classify like this:

Dark dubstep (king cannibal, komonazmuk, the subdivision, ebola, milanese, vex'd,...)
Hard dubstep (the classic like Nero, Stenchman, Emalkay, Distance,...)
Dub Dubstep (6blocc, cotti, clouds, disrupt,...)
Techno dubstep (2562, a made up sound, DFRNT,...)
Melodic dubstep (geiom, forsaken, gravious,...)
Experimental Dubstep (Eskmo, Joe, Pearson Sound,... many crossovers with Melodic dubstep, but deserves its own subgenre imo smile.gif)
UK garage & UK funky (hard to say it's a subgenre of dubstep, but there's definatly a lot of dubstep being influenced by it these days.

I haven't been following a lot of mainstream dubstep last months though, and totally lost count of releases like rottun recordings, circus, etc. (don't tell me they are not mainstream dubstep, they ARE tongue.gif)
Slankoe
It's so broad it isn't a genre anymore, it's a style.
Idle.
QUOTE (robbee @ 11. Oct 2010, 02:23) *
NOOO don't compare brostep with Neurofunk, that would be an insult for Neurofunk tongue.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of the time I can't stand your typical baseless brostep wobs, which repeat on and on and produce no other effect in my head than "TURN THIS FUCKING SHIT OFF", Neurofunk on the other hand gets me rollin' deep like most high output DnB

http://soundcloud.com/futureprimitive/neur...rum-n-bass#play

I've nothing to say about Dubstep subgenre's, I never know how to categorize musics, just use what everyone else does for communication purposes.
io.oinrc
Me and my roommate (who got me into dubstep years ago) have been classifying the genre's;

Dubstep (Benga type)
Grime/Filth (Datsik type)
Chill Dub (Mt. Kimble)
Ambient Dub (Joy Orbison)

Never really thought of other genre's as much of anything but slight variances that didn't really deserve their own title. But now you have stuff like "Complextro" and all that which has Wub's but sticks to a breaks/house formula that doesn't really suit the "Dubstep" title.

Thanks for this post! Cleared some stuff up =D Good to hear other peoples opinions on this =)
XXhasgoneXX
I"m still looking for a widely accepted term to define 100 bpm, funky shit like koan sound and culprate. I think that deserves a dubstep subgenre label.
torrentek
'Dub dubstep'
?

I'm sorry, but thats fucking retarded!
its like calling drum and bass, 'drum drum and bass' because it has drums.
dexx
Yo I know you don't like the term Brostep, but I think it sounds better than saying "Heavy Dubstep", so I still use it. If you got a new name for it that sounds good, I'll switch. Just haven't heard anything sides that yet that makes sense to me.

I often classify my Dubstep into the following sub genres. They change depending on the tunes I have at the moment. Currently, my crate is divided as such:

DUBstep aka Real Dubstep / Deep Dark Minimal Dubstep ( http://www.facebook.com/DeepDarkandMinimalDubstep )
Chillstep
Rootstep (Super Dubby Dubstep)
Breakstep (A breakbeat as the main beat)
Purple (Joker, Guido, etc.)
Skippy (Like UK Funky at 140)
Grime (Dubstep with Grime Vocals)
2 Step (2 Step at 140?)
and.. Brostep aka "Dubstep" / Heavy Dubstep

love
dexx
Sorry Grime does not mean Heavy. I think the term you're looking for is Filth.

Grime is a different thing. thumbsup.gif
dexx
QUOTE (io.oinrc @ 19. Jan 2012, 00:04) *
Dubstep (Benga type)
Grime/Filth (Datsik type)
Chill Dub (Mt. Kimble)
Ambient Dub (Joy Orbison)

Yo this is not Dub music. Chill Dubstep or Ambiant Dubstep sure.

But remember what Dub is!

King Tubby - Badness Dub
http://youtu.be/9xJ9fggYhvY
dexx
UK Funky is closer to UK Garage than it is to Dubstep.
Anexor
Mine are :

• ambient / liquid
• deep
• low end
• heavy / flithy
• roots / reggae
• funky. . wonky, wob wub wob whatever
Infrasound
I rephrase what I said before

Deep Dubstep

Filthy/Brostep

Dub/Reggae Dubstep

are the 3 main subgenres.
spectra
While we're on the topic of revisions, I ceased approaching categorization this way about a year ago. Now I use a single "Genre" in tags along with multiple Styles.
BCubensis
huh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.