Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is 'techno' exactly?
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
eem
I see it said here and there that 'techno' is its own specific thing, but am not too sure I can really identify specifically techno.

I can clearly identify, tech house, acid house, all the different genres of house, all the different genres of trance, the various dubs, ambients and what not. But the exact, definitive sound that would be described as true 'techno'. What is it?
jon.b
I guess everything in between house and real techno is called techno nowadays. For me it isn't clear either. But for me real techno is music that has a strong beat and a repetetive melody and rather fast, that makes you "dance like a machine". (f.e. Jeff Mills, Dettmann,...). I wonder though what other people think.
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (eem @ 17. Apr 2010, 02:20) *
But the exact, definitive sound that would be described as true 'techno'. What is it?

Really good biggrin.gif

But beyond that, the fundamental difference between techno and house is the philosophy. House finds it roots in disco and works out from there, whereas techno is more about innovation and trying to shake off the confines of the past.

House is also much more soulful and organic, whereas techno is dystopian view of the future ahead - machines and noise.

So, when trying to decide what it is, try and tell where it's coming from. This will give you some pointers.

Edit: For what it's worth, the term 'techno' is hideously overused. I kind of disagree with calling some music 'dub techno' or 'ambient techno' when it clearly is not innovative and not machine like. But I think we're lacking a term for these things, and techno filled it.
Re-Drum
as flint said, techno is more "mechanical" than house.
But I always see a music genre in it's time frame. What we call techno today is not techno like 15 years ago. Music always evolve, but there is often that short time frame where it seems like a lot of producers are inspried by themselves and produce the same style of music... until someone revolutionize it.

If you talk about straight techno, the detroit style, old school. I would say, pretty fast 130-140 bpm or more. Repetitive. 4-to-the-floor kick is often used. Using rhythms as melodies...
It kinda reflect the Detroit city in a way.
If you talk about the new school techno, or "minimal" like it's been called. Definitely slower 120-130. Always repetitive. The use of shorter sounds in comparison of the old school style. But it can be quite hard, today, to make clear differences between house and the new techno. As the tempos are quite the same and the rhythm patterns also. I would say, it's how you feel it really.
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (Re-Drum @ 18. Apr 2010, 01:11) *
But I always see a music genre in it's time frame. What we call techno today is not techno like 15 years ago. Music always evolve, but there is often that short time frame where it seems like a lot of producers are inspried by themselves and produce the same style of music... until someone revolutionize it.

Very true, and this especially recognisable in any artform which aims at being innovative or forward thinking. Techno, and anything under the term 'progressive' or 'experimental' are always subject faster to change than any other genre, and can be entirely different sounding within the space of just a few years. This is why I give the philosophical difference between techno and house, rather than the aesthetic one, as the best way of differentiating the two (in my opinion).
Widget
It certainly gets overused to the point where you have to try to size up a person's tastes to figure out what type of music they mean when they say techno. I've had people say "dat techno shit" when playing jungle/dnb, and others that mean euro/dance music, and others that mean strictly minimal, and then the people who treat everything without a guitar as 'techno'. Personally, I usually think of it as minimal, as that seems to be its meaning for current music

(Off-topic I guess, but I don't really think the Detroit-style techno is that innovative. I do like where darkstep and some of the hardcore genres are going though. There's limits to innovation when play time revolves around fitting into dj sets)
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (Widget @ 18. Apr 2010, 08:14) *
(Off-topic I guess, but I don't really think the Detroit-style techno is that innovative. I do like where darkstep and some of the hardcore genres are going though. There's limits to innovation when play time revolves around fitting into dj sets)

How can Detroit techno not be innovative? smile.gif Or are you talking about new-Detroit techno which mimiks the old stuff?

I don't think revolving around DJ sets should stop innovation though. I kind of feel like people should be producing the music for the sake of what sounds good, and then it's up to the DJs to also be innovative to find a way to get it to work. Whether this is so likely or not is another matter, I guess, but the early techno stuff was more like a concept album with lots of different sorts of pieces, I find. And if people could DJ with that then, they should have no problem now.
Schnickschnack
Just wait for the new genre called tech-techno laugh.gif
eem
extra techy
lewbylew
How about just Tech... no!
designlabz
Techno is not really about sound. Techno is a puzzle. A system. A box of LEGO. All pieces fit.
Techno is a repetitive music, based on a power of 2.
Kick is repeated every time (2^0).
Bass is repeated every second time (2^1).
Usually progression will go from 8(2^3) to 32(2^5) beats, but anything that is power of two can work.

Techno was born when people invented sequencers: Since sequencers have 8-16 triggers, everything had to be fitted in limits of the machines.

Think like this: If you can't make it's base line on a 303, it's not techno.
nanchang
Reasoning like you do, Designlabz, is enforcing a genre to fit a mold. Techno is far more than what you have described.

It is a music, an atmosphere, various ways of DJing, various ways of making industrial electronic music etc etc ... There is no theory but there is a "feeling", a history that it is important to bear in mind and to acknowledge without just reproducing the past. The 4/4 beat is a very comfortable zone but those who have excelled often broke that mold and went to see further than a 909 and a TB303.

I find it surprising to be able to know what is tech-house and acid-house but not techno ...

In the end, here are a few names: Jeff Mills, Surgeon, The Advent, Robert Hood, Juan Atkins, Marco Bailey, Dave Clarke, and so on, either DJs or producers ... the list is VERY long but it comes from a lot of these above mentioned guys, among others ...
pyc
Actually, I heard some people calling some version of Techno, to be the Tech. smile.gif
designlabz
QUOTE (nanchang @ 27. Apr 2010, 14:37) *
Reasoning like you do, Designlabz, is enforcing a genre to fit a mold. Techno is far more than what you have described.

Yup, that's right. Techno IS a mold. A very strict one, yet allowing infinite number of variations. It's obsessive, compulsive and trust worthy.

And you are right, there IS much more to techno than what I described, yet, if a song can't be fitted in that mold, it's not techno.
kjz
But the exact, definitive sound that would be described as true 'techno'. What is it?
[/quote]

techno is freedom (and love)...

now really, once you master it, it's really hard to not recognize "true" or "real" techno.

for me it's row, deep, precise, hard sound. with a good flow and some funk in it. fat bass and straight beat.
i realy don't know much about inovation in techno, and, i guess, it really does'nt matter at 6 in the morning,
when the sun is about to shine
Shizballs
tits and ass
Flint Eastwood
QUOTE (Shizballs @ 03. Jun 2011, 15:53) *
tits and ass

Stop spamming for invites XD
moose007
This review sums it up quite nicely.

http://www.inthemix.com.au/music/48948/Var...d_by_Steve_Aoki
Penguinface
Electro + House = Techno
XXhasgoneXX
electro + house = electrohouse
Seany
QUOTE (moose007 @ 10. Jun 2011, 23:24) *

Ehh, no it doesnt!
LoneStar
Did someone mention electrohouse?

You see, penguinface was pretty accurate there - simplified, but pretty accurate.
Techno uses the flow of the 4-2-da-floor house beat and combines it with the very electronic sound of electro. Both existed before people started talking about "techno".
The first Detroit "Techno" tracks such as Cybotron - Clear or Model 500 - Night Drive would today be called electro in retrospect.

Now, electro house has nothing in common with either electro or house, that's why it doesn't deserve the name.
knot
Been into techno for a while, and often have the feeling that nobody — including «Magic» Juan or even Kraftwerk themselves — didn't really bring in anything really significant since Kraftwerk's «It's more fun to compute» and «Numbers», from the «Computer World» album (and Bitchy Hawtin definitely won't change my mind).

Oh, and it's probably time to move away from the DJ standpoint by the way — unless we're happy with techno sounding like some illiterate and generic italo-disco 21st century update.
I have nothing against DJ's — Beltram's «Places» is one of my favourite albums —, but it's time to admit that all of those sterile «loop this loop that» chatterings are nothing but selling points.

The end justifies the means — or do the means justify the end ?
It has all gone so meaningless that it doesn't matter anyway.
leerad1
Watch a doc called Hi Teac Soul the creation of techno music. For me techno has no mould it is an art form based on modern techniques of the era of production, so as time progresses techno will evolve into something else as production values change and people will label it something different but maybe neglecting the fact it was originally techno because of the techniques used...
Pharmakon
Historically. Techno is rooted in the early 80's electro scene of Detroit. With Artists blending the European electronic sound of artists like Kraftwerk with the rhythmic elements of American afro-futurist funk styles, like Parliament. It's a blend of the sounds of funk and electronic music with a nod toward the future, and the use of novel equipment (like the Roland TR series).

It's important to recognize though, that most of the pioneers of Techno were also House music producers, i.e. Kevin Saunderson, etc.
batterypowered808
I think it changes overtime exactly what a genre is, I've stopped trying to pigeon hole evry single track I hear and judge it on how it sounds.
steptimeeditor
I think there's an unhealthy obsession with genres and the need to label a song with one. More often than, it seems that when someone asks what genre of music a particular song is they are figuring out where they can like it or not. To a House Head, if it's labeld Techno they want nothing to do with it nor give it the slightest chance to appeal to them. Same applies to a Techno Fiend to House or Dubstep Juggalo to Techno.

In regards to where the term "Techno" came from. It was coined by Juan Atkins who would used alot of words and terms from the works of Alvin Toffler, an American author.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.