Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Most Disappointing DJ Perfomance
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Pages: 1, 2
ataX
You've been waiting since that day you saw the flyer... you called your friends.. "BIG_DJ_NAME is coming here!", the day comes..

BIG_NAME_DJ flunks, maybe it wasn't his night, maybe he was too high, maybe his big name has gone all over his head, and he sucks now..

Has this happened to you? if it has please reply with the Party / DJ Name

It happened to me not long ago with "Danny Tenaglia"

I've never been more disappointed with a dj in my life.. he started playing the chessiest and more commercial house, i've ever heard.

it was just a waste of money..
Flint Eastwood
Ooops, said thanks, I meant to hit quote, lol.

Anyway, I was actually quite disappointed when I went to Berghain. We were well excited about going to '#1 club in the world' (as it's been hailed to be). We cued up for over an hour to get in, the whole time worried about whether we'll even get in or not, due to their notorious door policy. Then when we finally got in - and I felt really ill anyway - the music just sucked...Villalobos was there but I couldn't get into it because the upstairs venue was too rammed to move, and downstairs was just shitty 80s stuff, which was fine as a novelty for a couple of tracks but got tedious pretty quickly.
madDoK
I've been disappointed by Mr.Flash from Ed Banger at a new year party in Berlin. I was probably expecting to much.. sick mushups, banging distorted sound crazyness . All things that were not there. I think just the fact that I was expecting more from this set ruined my night tongue.gif
uggelmuggel
Sven Väth @ U60311 about 10 years ago
the sucker can't handle drugs and fell on the floor at 3 in the morning!
we all know the terrible moment when suddenly the lights go on.

edit: and fukkk offf half year ago in berlin. i guess the audience was the problem: skinheads and very cool hip hopper
sumerian
Troy Pierce at pacha buenos aires, it was awfull, i went there to see this guy do something different, to see him rock the club, but it was only another crappy nigth, nothing different.
Thank god that in the outside dancefloor Mary Zander was playing the most fine minimal, she saved my nigth!
commondenom
sure....Tsuyoshi Suzuki, psy-trance pioneer.....i drove 18 hours in a fucked pick up to get to cape town, didnt have time for a nap so took loads of acid to help me stay awake, then he played super cheesey epic trance/house with vocals and crappy melodies and shit.....

i was pissed off, but happily someone threw a cream pie in his face for selling out, and theres a photo of it somewhere on the internet too....

i'll try and find it..
Soultonic
Many many years ago I went to a Junior Vasquez event in NY and I don't know what was up his ass but he was giving us cunt. I have never heard a dj set in my life where it was obvious that the dj was in a bad mood. Probably the most disappointing set by a known dj that I've ever encountered.
ataX
i guess that most djs have bad nights, they are human too, but sometimes good djs overcome those feelings and give you a nice set, even if it isn't what you expected at least it was good.
commondenom
QUOTE (commondenom @ 10. Mar 2010, 16:28) *
sure....Tsuyoshi Suzuki, psy-trance pioneer.....i drove 18 hours in a fucked pick up to get to cape town, didnt have time for a nap so took loads of acid to help me stay awake, then he played super cheesey epic trance/house with vocals and crappy melodies and shit.....

i was pissed off, but happily someone threw a cream pie in his face for selling out, and theres a photo of it somewhere on the internet too....

i'll try and find it..

luckily i know people who know the people responsible....

thumbsup.gif
ataX
^^^^^^^^^^ wow, that's just great.. i wish i was in the position to do that to danny tenaglia, it would have made my night...
Flex Logic
Paul Oakenfold every time he plays. He should stick to running his label.
Mounzer
yuksek at chinese laundry, didnt think much of either dj or venue both been hyped to me
IceCream
I honestly think Kaskade hasn't had a good live set since 2005. I went to see him recently in Houston but at least now I can say that I went to sleep in a club without the aid of spirits.
xpunch0
QUOTE (Flex Logic @ 18. Sep 2010, 00:56) *

BWAHAHAHA. so true. I happened to catch a few minutes of his set at EDC 2007...it was absolutely horrible. He trainwrecked EVERY mix. Even worse was the crowd of blissed-out high school kids completely oblivious to what was happening...
rothwick
QUOTE (xpunch0 @ 29. Sep 2010, 08:14) *
QUOTE (Flex Logic @ 18. Sep 2010, 00:56) *

BWAHAHAHA. so true. I happened to catch a few minutes of his set at EDC 2007...it was absolutely horrible. He trainwrecked EVERY mix. Even worse was the crowd of blissed-out high school kids completely oblivious to what was happening...

I agree, Oakenfold havn't done a single track that appeals to me in any way. If it was up tom me he wouldn't even be on djmag top 100
difference.engine
This summer (The one we just had) I had to watch Gaudi stop in the middle of his set (the same set I had heard three times previous) and give the entire crowd a 5minute lecture on the moral reprehensibleness of pirating music and downloading music......

I haven't been able to listen to any Gaudi since......
FuchiK
This new years day past (the star of this year). Went to a local festical called SummerDayz. I haven' t been since about 1998 so I had some expectations. I passed on a Carl Cox and someone else (2ManyDjs or Eddi Halliwell... can't remember who) in order to see....

TECHNOTRONIC!

Who missed their flight earlier and so had their set moved to the end of the day. Resultin in my having to listen to Sebastion Leger... ohmigod SO BAD. It was like he doesn't know how to play a decent minimal/detroit set. He had two opportunities to bow out with style, after dropping Knights of the Jaguar and I feel Love ... but just kept playing crappy rhythm based minimal... without interjecting with some melody driven stuff <facepalm>

So I waited two hours for the Technotronic... it started raining... someone stole my backpack... then I got it back... then they started... and .. it .. was AWESOME!

They had someone playing bongos and drums live and they were just playing around and remixing their tracks... it was exactly what I wanted to hear....

and then the PA went dead...

and then they walked off stage...

and I gave up.

So I went to the main stage to meet up with my wife (who at the time was very obviously pregnant and getting a lotta strange looks from the youngsters I can tell you) and she tells me she's spent the last 2 hours dancing to awesome music... undercover!

Complete and Epic FAIL!

F ~_^
sorge
Danny Tenaglia huh... that's funny. he bailed completely on a gig he was to play one night here in Montreal about 10 years ago.
savant
DJ Dag (former Trancegod in the mid 90´s in Frankfurts Omen) 3 years ago in my resident club on a new years party....
His set was awful playing commercial house ... terrible
His performance was an only insult .... he ruined every single transition ... and plays with scratched records ^^
Every noob would do it better ...

Well its hard to find good DJ´s for small clubs on new year - cause there all booked ...
o_l_s_e_n
Kissy Sellout. I swear the whole thing was pre-mixed and he was just putting effects on it when I saw him. I've seen some videos that look like he's doing it live but when he came to my town, I don't think he did any mixing
sova
Sounds like quite a few gnarly experiences there. I've got to say my biggest flop of a hyped-up gig was seeing Kode9 late last year. Started off pretty cool (albeit still nothing spectacular) however the set managed to degenerate down the downward spiral of mixing house/electro by the end of the night.

I suppose stranger things have happened...
Y,T
Most disappointing thing happend for me during the best festival ever (World Wide Festival, Sete - France)
were Joy Orbinson & Flying Lotus had been cancelled, luckily (if your tonedeaf) their places got filled up with

- Laurent 'please could someone fucking wake him up' Garnier -

As always played a marvellous set,
to fall asleep to...

but then the strangest thing happened...
Garnier and his Trance-belief got so hyped by the organizer of the festival (Gilles Peterson, but he is forgiven)
that every act which played after Garnier (dOP & Kyle Hall)
started pulling out their most trancey records...

So not only did i had to listen to Garniers Trance crap, but also.... aaAARGh!

Last but not least, GP found it necesarry that Garnier should also close the festival
cutting short on the time dj's like Simbad, Lefto & Son of Kick could play..

TRANCE is DEAD! and i'm still wondering why something so empty and formless ever sprung to life...
DJTs2
Skream - can be amazing, seen him 10 or so times.

Has pitched up before though wasted as fuck, play a shit set then kcock a can of beer over the decks so the club was silent for ten mins...
hwperic
sven vath a few years ago at the end (r.i.p)

Didn't know much about him at the time, only knew he was some kind of legend so I just went for it with my friends.
Felt like he was teasing us during the whole night, building up tracks to a semi climax only to put it back to were it was. No drops, no peaks, not even a nice drum melody line to dance to. Many time you would start lifting your arms up thinking that something was coming up and then nothing, and you're left with your arms up like those idiotic inflatable dancing thing they have in car parks.
Also it looked like most of the people there were just shouting his name and not really listening to the music, too busy to take pictures on their phones. At the time it looked like the gayest thing ever.

And now that I look back at it I realize I just go really unlucky. One of the friend I went with saw him again in Moscow and told me it as pretty much the best thing ever. Even youtube videos of his sets get me dancing in my room.

I guess he's a bit like Lobos, although I never got unlucky with Mr Ricardo.

kazadvic
This is not only a DJ, but still one of the hugest electronic band of the world : Prodigy...

I saw them playing at the Sziget Festival '09 and it was so disappointing ! I was so excited, can't wait to see them, but finally I just saw a kind a "sampler", they played about 2 minutes of all of their greatest hits, talking shit between each song, then leave, just like that...

Just before them, Pendulum played. I'm not a fan of them but I can say they did a great show, very powerful, not as Prodigy's one...

Luckily, it made me got something, the biggest shows are rarely the best wink.gif
konsument
Last september i took time off from work to go to the saturday adventure club in berlin. Me and my friend went to see pan pot and that was a huge disappointment. He played everything in traktor which is a real downer... we leaved the event at 6 ocklock in the morning to se josh wink play vinyls at the panorama bar no.gif
kazadvic
QUOTE (konsument @ 25. Oct 2010, 23:21) *
josh wink

Josh Wink ftw smile.gif
omnizeruel
A couple artists come to mind...

Excision first of all, I saw him open for Pendulum (who weren't all that impressive either) in Portland Oregon and his set was realllly bad. I blame the sound system of the venue a little bit but usually a good set can overcome any set-up.

Second is Bad Boy Bill. He's had a couple really fun tracks, granted he's not a producer with the most depth, but I was expecting a fun show and when I saw him he played nothing but that new electro house that sounds like major lazer but ten times as irritating. You know, the stuff that makes you want to murder everyone in the club because they think it's "Hype". Ugh... sleep.gif Needless to say I left 5 tracks in to his set. I'm so glad it was a free show.

I've been to a handful of awesome shows to make up for it but it's just such a bummer when an artist you at least expect to be fun shows up and blows the biggest loaf of moldy bread.
mikedean
After seeing Bar 9 I haven't been able to put any of his wax down on the decks out of pure memories of the show. It sounded like a bad iTunes genius mix that happened to be the same genre. sad.gif

Well, I can't throw down neg vibes without bumpin respect to. Andy C and MC GQ completely changed the way I thought about an MC at a show. Just saw these two and it was fucking LIVID! Don't sleep if you get a chance for those two.
mikedean
On second thought, I also can't leave out Deadmau5. His show was so boring, so expensive and so tasteless I have to mention it. It was the definition of sell-out electronic music.

He says he has no respect for DJs, yet is WORSE than any DJ. He just presses play from behind two computers! What kind of shit is that! If I wanted to see someone press play, I would go see the local top 40 DJ spinning his tracks anyways.

“It puts me to fucking sleep to be quite honest, I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to fucking tears and hopefully with all due respect to the dj type that will fucking go the way of the dinosaur id like them to dis-a-fucking-pear. Joel continued, its so middle man,they’re like fucking lawyers. You need them, but they’re fucking ****s. God bless them they’re my number one customer right so I’m not gonna go diss every fucking DJ. But to say you become this massive up on a podium performer by playing other peoples productions at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it.” - Deadmau5

I can't help but feel massive irony in that statement after seeing him live. It's a good thing he has so much money to spend on light rigs and all the kids are high as fuck on their first time on E. Sickens me...

The polar opposite of this guy is Mat the Alien. A legit, technical DJ. That guy destrooooooyyyyyyyyyyys and the floor is ALWAYS just bumpin'.
Odie
Diplo in 2008. I had only heard his Florida album, which isn't bad. After suffering through hours of nauseating club-friendly techno (i.e. DJ Blaqstarr), Diplo finally started his set at 1am. I was expecting original material, but he played "smack my bitch up" and then mixed in even more popular drivel. I walked out. Serious disappointment.
Tjharwin
Deadmau5 at Creamfields 2010. Was slightly dissapointed because the crowd was just pushing back and forth really bad all the time. I've been to rock concerts and it's acceptable there, but girls were getting trampled on by chavs and I was pulling them out.

That aside, his set wasn't very thrilling though. Long buildups and dissapointing breakdowns.

QUOTE (kazadvic @ 24. Oct 2010, 09:06) *
This is not only a DJ, but still one of the hugest electronic band of the world : Prodigy...

I saw them playing at the Sziget Festival '09 and it was so disappointing ! I was so excited, can't wait to see them, but finally I just saw a kind a "sampler", they played about 2 minutes of all of their greatest hits, talking shit between each song, then leave, just like that...

Just before them, Pendulum played. I'm not a fan of them but I can say they did a great show, very powerful, not as Prodigy's one...

Luckily, it made me got something, the biggest shows are rarely the best wink.gif

Really? I saw Pendulum warm up for The Prodigy when they played Milton Keynes Bowl last summer on their biggest show ever. Pendulum were slightly poor because it was still light and their light show just failed really. The Prodigy were absolutely amazing though! Having said that, this was the show which got put on DVD as their only full video recorded performance. Guess they had to put on their best show.
Anexor
Best one imo = Steve Angello - How To Fake Your Fans
phatterthansholaama
QUOTE (o_l_s_e_n @ 20. Oct 2010, 05:20) *
Kissy Sellout. I swear the whole thing was pre-mixed and he was just putting effects on it when I saw him. I've seen some videos that look like he's doing it live but when he came to my town, I don't think he did any mixing

when i saw him he played on his keyboard guitar for too long. but he is awful.

the worst was roger sanchez, shindig 06, he was drunk and was taken off the decks after he did a microphone no no.
ocinteeni
Juan Atkins at the Roxy in Hollywood, California for a party hosted by Droid Behavior and Scion. I was hoping he would keep it OG and spin some dope ass records that only a Detroit head would know about but instead he used Traktor and just messed with the Flanger and filter non stop and it sounded like the first time someone got a piece of DJ software and was experimenting with the different features. Omar S on the other hand delivered that night.
Pharmakon
jonsi? i mean, wtf was he doing djing showtunes? wow.
Retrospectus
heartthrob, after all the hype i was pretty annoyed that his entire set was soo monotonous, the place was next to empty half way through his set.
agrizokh
Peter Hook (of Joy Division/New Order fame) is surely the worst _famous_ dj ever. The guy can't mix for shit - and by can't, I mean I was making better mixes after three days of learning how to dj. He doesn't feel the music - throws up his old wrinkly arms at all the wrong times. And his music is just fucking horrible commercial crap.

Can't blame him though, I'm pretty sure he just hates the whole dance scene and laughs his ass off after every gig while counting the cash. It's the bookers and especially the crowd who have no clue.
pyc
anyways, Joy Division and New Order are nothing but a hyped bands.
derized
i went to see alice deejay, but all it was, was some semi fat semi muscular mexican dude, dancing on stage all night. im like who the fuck is this asshole.
Betty_Tron
cj bolland at the old chaser's venue in melbourne. the bastard was sooooo fucking high he could not match a beat.... after about an hour the followup DJ had a quiet word to him and bolland graciously relinquished the decks. he (the support act) fucking rocked out. probably just pulled random tunes out of bolland's crate all night!
Anexor
QUOTE (ataX @ 08. Mar 2010, 04:13) *
You've been waiting since that day you saw the flyer... you called your friends.. "BIG_DJ_NAME is coming here!", the day comes..

BIG_NAME_DJ flunks, maybe it wasn't his night, maybe he was too high, maybe his big name has gone all over his head, and he sucks now..

Has this happened to you? if it has please reply with the Party / DJ Name

It happened to me not long ago with "Danny Tenaglia"

I've never been more disappointed with a dj in my life.. he started playing the chessiest and more commercial house, i've ever heard.

it was just a waste of money..

mokha1
Worst set I ever had the (mis)fortune of attending was actually Wolfgang Gartner..
twentytwo
Luke Chable by far. When he's producing he made some of the best Progressive House tracks ever, but when it came to dj'ing he was terrible. He toured the US once and I saw him open up for Dave Seaman. After listening to his productions for a good year or two, I was super excited, but it was major let down for sure.
obscenul
Paul oakenfold was very disapointing in bucharest .
pyc
You haven't heard Oakenfold as a warmup for Madonna's concert... what-a-bullshit. Also, I remember Timo Maas playing so stupid minimal the crew was like showing him dicks after the set. GMS was also similar recently. Recently they're attempting to mix commercial pop with psytrance and that sounds just like shit. Very lame.
Flint Eastwood
I was pretty disappointed when I saw Sasha at Berghain recently, actually. It was a really nice set, don't get me wrong, but he just played tech house/minimal. Everyone was there to witness the great Sasha dropping some epic prog house set, but then just heard the same stuff they would hear at almost any club in Berlin by any DJ. A real shame. That said, if I didn't know it was Sasha playing I could have enjoyed it much more. Expectations are annoying things sometimes.
DanBrandt
QUOTE (pyc @ 03. Oct 2011, 18:06) *
You haven't heard Oakenfold as a warmup for Madonna's concert... what-a-bullshit. Also, I remember Timo Maas playing so stupid minimal the crew was like showing him dicks after the set. GMS was also similar recently. Recently they're attempting to mix commercial pop with psytrance and that sounds just like shit. Very lame.

Indeed, Oakenfold as a warmup for Madonna's concert was terrible. It would be better if he had just left a mixed CD playing.

One very disappointinh DJ performance for me was RA's #1 Ricardo Villalobos at Warung, here in Brazil, in January this year. He started off very good, but then it got boring. Couldn't stand it.
danzig
-Trus'Me
Boring tracks and seemed like he didn't know what he was doing. No flow.

-Aeroplane
They played modern hits only. I thought they were gonna play some quirky balearic or italo tracks. And to think that I skipped Hawtin to see them so6llvgnvu8vmpsh5ikd.gif

-Diplo
I saw him 3 times. The first 2 were pretty awesome. The third time, too noisy and cheesy.

-Luciano
It's like he downloaded top charted tracks and just played them all down.gif
newg
Autechre, Sub Club Glasgow 2010

Possibly my fault for being a bit naive and expecting at least a little of their studio album sound in a club environment.

full-bore techno beats all night long with no real tracks in there, if i'd had about .4 of mandy in me i might have enjoyed it better.
Possibly also due to the fact that my buds bailed last minute and it's the only gig I've ever been to alone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.