Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How did you get into electronic music?
Torrentech: electronic music torrent downloads > Our community > Electronic music discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
killanator
My story is one that I am ashamed of. If any of you are PC gamers out there, you have probably heard of x-fire. If you haven't its a IM program made for gamers, which lets you chat ingame. They occasionaly have ads at the top of the page for some of their upcoming events. One day, in June of 2007, they had an advertisement for an upcoming event for the game "DotA"(i was 13 at the time). The game itself is not of importance, but for those of you who are familiar with eurodance(euroshit) artist basshunter, his breakout song was "Dota," about the video game of the same name. An embedded youtube video of that song was on the page for the x-fire event, and before I knew it, basshunter was all over my ipod. From there I got into trance(nothing good, just tiesto/oakenfold), and eventually found Daft Punk, and I started to get into better music from there. For a good year or so, it was just basshunter and stuff like that(tune up, cascada) and eurotrance, with a little bit of gabber(have no idea how i discovered that).
newg
QUOTE (killanator @ 01. Dec 2009, 06:06) *
My story is one that I am ashamed of. If any of you are PC gamers out there, you have probably heard of x-fire. If you haven't its a IM program made for gamers, which lets you chat ingame. They occasionaly have ads at the top of the page for some of their upcoming events. One day, in June of 2007, they had an advertisement for an upcoming event for the game "DotA"(i was 13 at the time). The game itself is not of importance, but for those of you who are familiar with eurodance(euroshit) artist basshunter, his breakout song was "Dota," about the video game of the same name. An embedded youtube video of that song was on the page for the x-fire event, and before I knew it, basshunter was all over my ipod. From there I got into trance(nothing good, just tiesto/oakenfold), and eventually found Daft Punk, and I started to get into better music from there. For a good year or so, it was just basshunter and stuff like that(tune up, cascada) and eurotrance, with a little bit of gabber(have no idea how i discovered that).

I'm a huge radiohead fan, and when they began to bring out a more electronic sound (Kid A, Amnesiac etc) I thought 'this is pretty awesome'. I eventually found boards of canada, and from there I have been into IDM ever since.

I rarely listen to anything else these days, other than IDM/downtempo/chillout stuff.
Dave the Jedi
I got into early 90's hardcore and then found Dave Clarke's red one and a tape of Sasha@eclipse never looked back!
polly
in the lovely words of kid koala... some of my best friends are djs (:
tranzintel
ha Fayetteville West Virginia there are some djs there believe it or not console.gif uhmm... jason babkirk, andy and brother Matt. from what they've told me got into it by traveling up to DC to see Scott Henry and others... wait this is all wrong i got into it way before i even knew they where into it jason just gave my friends and i our first mixer a Gemini PMX - 2500 4 channels no e cue. did have some sound effects though lol. we named it after one of them."THE TRON BLAST!" went to some "parties" in Denver haven't really looked back. started off on a kareoke machine that had pitch bent and a nudge if you want to call it that. some odd grand later via beatport and gear later my brethren are blowing up house parties in mo town playing every thing but trance.

nice post made me think woot.gif
PlasmaSnake
My first spark started in hearing 'Zombie Nation' By Kernkraft on the radio & spent shit long trying to find out the name of it, then stumbled into music like eurodance, then finally psytrance! =D
strel
my bro intruduced me to dubstep, breakbeat, etc. and i got addicted
Kalifah
QUOTE (PlasmaSnake @ 12. Dec 2009, 03:54) *
My first spark started in hearing 'Zombie Nation' By Kernkraft on the radio & spent shit long trying to find out the name of it, then stumbled into music like eurodance, then finally psytrance! =D

It's actually 'Kernkraft 400' by Zombie Nation. Don't worry, I made the same mistake for a long time. Saw Zombie Nation live at Foreshore two weeks ago. He was amazing!

As for how I got into it... I had a friend in highschool that introduced me via the mainstream, cotton candy stylings of Nick Skitz and a bit of Ministry of Sound. From there I got into the slightly less mainstream, but much more sickly sweet Happy Hardcore rave scene. I got taken in strongly by that scene... pills, unnaturally happy, lovey-dovey music, dancing all night long... all that was too much for a young man to resist. For about two years I was pretty narrow in my tastes, just stuck to Happy Hard and hated everything else, even the House I used to enjoy. During that two years I came across Freeform through the Bonkers compilations, which I still revere as being the 'gateway' genre for me. For those of you who aren't familiar, Freeform Hardcore is similar to Hardcore in its 4/4 beat, tempo and many other respects, but is a fusion genre with heavy influences from such disparate genres as Hard Trance, Hard House, Acid and Psy. Eventually I got sick of the generic, cheesy Happy Hardcore sound, and started branching out into the Hard Trance scene, since it had those same sounds I loved so much in Freeform. Then next two years I explored the limits of the Hard Dance scene, but was still pretty closed minded to anything out of the Hard Dance family.

Then I remember quite clearly the compilation that once again broadened my interests Generation Next's House2Hard had three CDs, the first with Electro House & Breaks, the second Tech Trance and the third Hardstyle. I'd bought it for the last two CDs, particularly because the second one was produced by Dr. Willis (still one of my favourite DJs). Eventually I ended up listening to the first CD and didn't mind it... then after awhile I even started enjoying it, so I decided to get another Electro House CD. From there I had a huge flowering of my interests as I started listening to the whole gamut of House, from Electro to Tech, Tribal to Deep... then I started getting into Techno, Minimal, Breaks, Jungle, Trip Hop... anything and everything electronic, nearly. I'd even come full circle and was listening to REAL Hardcore, the stuff from the early 90s. It was fascinating seeing how Happy Hardcore has evolved (or should I say devolved) from it. So many sounds recognisable from the old days raving to Scott Brown, Raver Baby etc. My most recent development has been an intense fixation with Garage and its newer sub-genres, namely Grime, Bassline, Dubstep and Fidget House.

So... there you have it. A little of my musical history. smile.gif
shane-omc
For me it has to be the summer of 2007, I was traveling in the US and staying with friends in San Diego. As it was the end of the summer, all we did was smoke weed and listen to Booka Shade. I was into dance music but it was more trance and had never really heard techno or house before. At the same time some my friends where getting into techno and when I got back home we went to see Dave Clarke. I started to get more into the music and download ablums of artist that I would hear on nights out and from friends. Then I found torrenttech and haven't looked back. Now I know about this music than most of my friends (or so I to think) biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
MekkaB
By way of industrial music (skinny puppy, einstuerzende neubauten) I was introduced to Delta 9 (drop bass network) and AFX Analog Bubblebath in 1996 (polar opposites, to be sure!). A friend at that time was a jungle dj so we went to see him spin at an warehouse. I'll never forget feeling that wall of snares...
Dubious
soulwax
o0velvet0o
Young I was offered for my birthday my first two albums:

Mickael Jackson / Rock Voisine (soft girly singer)

Threw 'rock voisine' into the bin... and spend all my youth holidays 100m away from a night club for 16 years.

Fell asleep on disco beats for years, and best years of my childhood. Disco then pop ... then electronic music ?
indica
First clubs in 1989 ... acieeeed ... WTF??

Tried again a few years later, 91/92 ... stilll WTF till I dropped an e .... then the lights went on .... "aahhhh, that's what this music is for".
Prodigy, Carl Cox, Sasha, Grooverider ... all the greats!
Re-Drum
By hearing some Steve Reich during my childhood, also, I would say Daft Punk - Homework and the whole french house thing, when I was 8... And later, my sister gave me Dj Shadow - Entroducing which introduced me to all kind of amazing stuff like warp, ninja tune, lex...
Kalifah
QUOTE (indica @ 13. Dec 2009, 09:03) *
First clubs in 1989 ... acieeeed ... WTF??

Tried again a few years later, 91/92 ... stilll WTF till I dropped an e .... then the lights went on .... "aahhhh, that's what this music is for".
Prodigy, Carl Cox, Sasha, Grooverider ... all the greats!

No offence, but if you can't enjoy EDM without drugs you're doing something seriously wrong.
indica
QUOTE (Kalifah @ 13. Dec 2009, 13:17) *
No offence, but if you can't enjoy EDM without drugs you're doing something seriously wrong.

Never said that was the case ... but the e made me understand ... (BTW haven't had any drugs for 6 years and I still love the music)
Kalifah
QUOTE (indica @ 13. Dec 2009, 14:02) *
QUOTE (Kalifah @ 13. Dec 2009, 13:17) *

Never said that was the case ... but the e made me understand ... (BTW haven't had any drugs for 6 years and I still love the music)

Ah fair enough, I can understand that. smile.gif
twistedduo
As a teenager, I got into early Freestyle and found myself liking dance music even more. Originally, I was into Punk and New Wave/Synth-Pop so the transition to techno wasn't hard. Dabbled in industrial techno for awhile then re-discovered house music by way of stumbling on a club in 1992. Then again a few months later at a warehouse rave overseas. It was at that point where my life was changed forever. By 1996, I was listening to alot of chemical breaks (Crystal Method, Chemical Bros., Fatboy Slim, Keoki, Rabbit in the Moon, etc.) I had a got a job as an in-house dj/security for a local little bar. I eventually got fired for playing, "that damn techno music" but got picked up for a residency at a local nightclub by another resident who would be my mentor. By 1999, my tastes had shifted to more progressive house and trance and I began making bootleg remixes using Frooty Loops and Acid Pro 4. After the millennium passed, the demand for trance took a nosedive so I began exploring psytrance and Goa. To this day, it's still my favorite. But now, ten years later... psytrance is picking up in popularity. Which is a good thing but now every kid on the block is spinning it. Not to mention that as I get older, my energy level doesn't stay peaked for too long (I'm almost completely sober these days - with exception of herb and drink). Also, to get paying gigs at clubs, people wanted house music. So I began exploring acid house and deep house and playing it out as a side genre. I still produce and love trance music but more on the downtempo side these days. Mostly atmospheric and psychill. But sadly, there's no real forum for it these days as chill-rooms are nearly extinct.
Tunster
I have always loved electronic music, but really only skimmed across whatever's been commercial in the last 10 years (Trance/House in the UK). Only recently I have started listening to Zane Lowe (Radio 1 DJ that plays a mixed bag), picked up Deadmau5 and then dug deeper when I joined here. I'm now literally joined to the hip with Fidget House, Drum 'n Bass, Dubstep biggrin.gif. Thanks Tt.
kronbons
A friend of mine played me Prodigy - Experience like 15 years a go and since then I have been hooked! Must say that the new stuff doesn't really compare to their older works...
PherAudio
Hey peeps thumbsup.gif ,

My name is Pher and i live in the Netherlands. When i was about 16 years old i listended to a lot of music, from rock, pop to dancemusic like turn up the bass and stuff. My brother wo was 2 years older then me, also was a real musicfan. Both having a father with a talent for music, we inherited a good sense of rythm and sound. Starting with a program named Digital Orchestrator Plus, we began playing with sounds and adding beats to tracks. We made and played a lot with samples. Going on a holiday, we made a track in the holidaytheme to play on the bus to Spain. In the bus, when the busdriver put on the tape, the whole bus went wild. From there on we were once more inspired and motivated to produce tracks. Now, fifteen years later, we are still into music. Producing whatever kind of music we desire at that exact moment... The last few weeks i'm getting into dj-ing. On the 31st of december this year i will be playing @ Stadslab Sittard, where the organisation "ShakeThatAss-Events" has planned a gig called "DONKER" for NYE 2009. A new twist in my musical life, wich will hopefully be a succes and bring a lot of fun times... For now i say greetz to you all... and catch you @ the flipside...

Greetz PherAudio (check www.PherAudio.nl) cool.gif
djviz
i guess when i heard the sounds of Boney M when i was very ickle, they automatically pre-programmed me for more synth orientated music, from level 42 to depeche mode, as long as the music had a synthesiser effect and perhaps a danceable beat, i liked it - so i was ready for electronic music from an early age, and i also dug the first wave of 80 acid house etc though i wasnt very saavy, its only as of 91 that after a little stint into grunge and reggae that i went to my first house party and was blown away - like most of us on our first gig experience, init ! tongue.gif
happysumo
Justice/MSTRKRFT, then I started listening to looootsss of hardstyle.

Needless to say, my music taste has progressed further, I'm pretty keen on anything nowadays. Minimal stuff to gabber, it's all good. Don't listen to anything other than EDM these days.
lewbylew
First album was Fatboy Slim, after that I sorta went off dance music and went to Jazz/Funk, never really going back. In fact, before that I wasn't even "Into" Dance Music, just liked Benny Benassi & Fatboy Slim in general, not the style. Then, in 2008, I was staying at a family vacation and my cousin played me the Ministry Of Sound 2008 Annual, Krafty Kuts & Armand Van Helden (NYC Beat, to be specific). I have been hooked ever since, my music taste has progressed of course, I now love Sasha, most Liquid DnB, House, Electro House, Techno, Minimal & Pryda (tongue.gif). Love it all.
zer0cool
Although I listened to lot's of tracks that would classify as electronic music for years, it wasn't until I heard Ready to Wear by Felix da Housecat that I really saw it as something else. At one point in the next year I traveled to Europe and had some great drunken nights listening to basically the top 40 dance tracks in some clubs, but it seemed so much better than the top 40 pop/rap tracks we had been hearing at local clubs. And then a few months later I went to my first 'party' with a good friends older sister and her friends and that was it.... There were 4 different rooms with 4 different primary genre's and all kinds of crazyness. I was fully in.
Flint Eastwood
I used to listen to all the Euphoric trance stuff when I was 11 or 12 - System F, etc, not to mention ATB and Alice Deejay :| Then I hit puberty and the next few years were consumed soley by Slipknot etc, so I guess you could say Eyeless was my first steps into the world of breaks biggrin.gif Then I discovered pills, got back into the trance stuff which quickly (and thankfully!) gave way to drum and bass. But really I'd say it was only in the last year, since my eyes were opened to all the other varieties of electronic music...techno, chillout, IDM, trip hop etc...when electronic music became my main passion again. I now listen to it almost exclusively.
Glitchwerks
QUOTE (Re-Drum @ 12. Dec 2009, 18:38) *
By hearing some Steve Reich during my childhood

Yeah, I had the same sort of start. Way back when with Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. Then there was stuff like Cybotron's "Clear", Herbie Hancock's "Rockit", early hip hop, Pet Shop Boys, that sort of thing.

Also, Ishkur himself pointed out that he was influenced by Sesame Street. Not kidding, they used to have a real funky song in the closing credits and I have to admit, that and some others were ones I really liked as a kid as well. They had one pure funk tune where they counted off a lot of numbers to a pinball cartoon, very psychedelic.

Also I had more than a few Disney records which come to mind, songs like "Age of Not Believing" and "Love" had a vibe that I dug as a wee kid, and I love to hear that sort of sound in a lot of drum n bass and downtempo.

Rap music was a huge influence in terms of electronic production. I really began to realize that I wasn't listening to the rapping a lot...it was the music. Soon after, I discovered house music and techno, and that was that! During the UK hardcore era, I got introduced to the internet, and chatted with a ton of people who knew a lot about rave music, got into IDM, ambient, experimental, in addition to when jungle came rolling in. Got into techno seriously, trance as well.

I've stuck with the music for a long time. I really love it, and it's all I care to listen to any more. yes.gif
pyc
Yeah, Pet Shop Boys, back then... when they were worthy, they had a great influence on me, I was such a fan... My first contact with real smile.gif electronic music were actually .mod files that were popping out on Amiga, and early PC games, and the whole demoscene... Try that .mod file I attached, it's from about 1993 I think... It was the Stardust Amiga game, but there were some earlier .mods also...
darkinvader
QUOTE (kronbons @ 16. Dec 2009, 22:06) *
A friend of mine played me Prodigy - Experience like 15 years a go and since then I have been hooked! Must say that the new stuff doesn't really compare to their older works...

HELL YES!!!

I was introduced to The Prodigy Experience when i was 15. I was listening to metal, punk and Hip Hop at the time and i craved something new. That album single handedly converted me as i started to explore more Prodigy sounds.

I then got into Trance and more leftfield stuff like The Chemical Bros.

It wasn't until i was 16 til i discovered Drum & Bass. The first dnb tune i heard was Pascal - P-Funk Era. What a Tune, still love it to this day.

DnB seemed to hit the spot for me and i just couldnt get enough of it.

The rest is history smile.gif
rcanka
I was brought up with a soundtrack composed of classical music, iron maiden, kraftwerk and acid house.

Kraftwerk and acid house got me addicted. smile.gif
Hooligen-E
It was something near year 2000 when my friend sent me a song over msn, think it was ``Korsakoff - My Empty Bottle`` i was just amazed how insane this sound is. Then i was into hardcore about a year. Listened to Neophyte, Dj Outblast, AngerFist, Buzz Fuzz, Dione, Tommyknocker... stuff like that. When Deepack - Prophecy song came out i started listening to Hardstyle untill 2007, and then went back to listening Hardcore for half an year or something like that. And then i went to softer style`s like : House, Psy... Until this year when it all mixed together. Mostly listen to anything electronic when it has the rhytim and the bass i like smile.gif thats about it, hope the story didint get too confusing.
Strider
Got into Electronic music when I was prob about 10 or 11, my dad got me into the prodigy and then that was that haha.

Later on got into the Drum and Bass scene in Perth WA. Now into my Dubstep and Glitchy IDM.

Also making funny noises on a microKORG these days.
tonicboy
I was always into some sort of electronic-y music as a teenager - from industrial to synth pop, new wave. Around the late 80's, I remember there were lots of news reports about the 'rave' scene and even though I was intensely curious, the scene was still quite underground and I had no idea how to even find a party. When I was 18 and went to college, I finally saw a flyer for some off-campus rave. It was a pretty small production but it was still super-cool - an underground rave in an old movie theatre that had a cavernous roof. That was 1990. Ever since then, I was hooked on the rave scene and I would go to those monthly parties for a long time. Soon after, I started DJ'ing and the rest is history.
mijo
I believe Air, Moon Safari, played here in the living room on the stereo, was the first taste I really got of electronic music. It was so beautiful and nice, so that stands as one of my favorite albums, and as the album that made me get interested in electronic music.
Though we also had Deep Forest and some other ambient world music compiliations, it was Air, and probably the music through childhood, that made me so interested in the genre.
Losmuertos
i was into death metal, so i listened "The berzerker" and i loved them, so i went to wikipedia to read some references, and i saw the word "speedcore" somewhere; and there begins my travel thru this fantastic world of the "electronic music". Currently i'm listening some Speedcore, Rhythmic noise, Dark ambient and Trip hop.
dj_spazzz
My story I would have to say started when i was in 4th or 5th grade. I was sleeping over my best friends house and he had an older sister that was with this guy who was all into racing. Well that night they took us out at midnight to go canyon running. I was so young and scared shitless but at the same time having the best time ofmy life speeding down canyons and having my ears bleeding from some 90's techno he was bumping the whole time. From then on I would always ask him for mixtapes and what not. That was my introduction to techno. I discovered House music when I was in high school no thanks to the one and only French robot duo DAFT PUNK!!!!! I use to love watching their animated music videos online. Ever since then I have been a HUGE Househead! Trance I discovered about a year later at my first rave. Which I absolutley fell in love with! lol Which brings me to the EDM loving freak I am now! woot.gif
jayzn
i moved to london from vancouver (in 98) and randomly got to know tha manager of "the end". He hooked me up with free entry whenever ah wanted and got into electronic music thusly!
phenom1ne
the drugs...

then that got old...but im still down with my shit wink.gif
adamsears
I used to listen to grime and when I heard Rinser's freestyle over Joker's Gullybrook Lane I thought the beat was disgusting.
Then I found out it was a type of dubstep, loved the genre ever since.
PushToBreak
My story's embarrassing and incredibly short. It was all because of the movie "Hackers". Pretty bad movie, but I loved it at the time.

Saw that in '96 and went out and bought the soundtrack, then Orbital's "In Sides" and Underworld's "Dubnobasswithmyheadman". And that's that, as they say.
fister
'92 - & a trip to the 'Marcus Garvey Centre'
zombie
I listened to daft punk at a young age. I really loved em, but then left them alone for other styles of non-electronic music. After a while i picked daft punk back again, and started exploring other electronic music, then kept getting deeper into it. Now i am here.
Cannabuzz
I got into trance for some reason and started to go to a lot of clubs and now here I am listening to all forms of electronic music
vass
Ever since I was a kid in the 70s - (yes im that old!)...i was always interested in electronic sounds (Kraftwerk especially) and the less commercial disco and funk sounds of New York. A bit later in the early 80s stuff like Cabaret Voltaire and Heaven 17 (who were making these awesome electro sounds and mad squelchy effects mixed in with good old fashioned pop - check out I'm Your Money from 1981) got my attention. Then the 80s clearly divided itself into rock and pop, with synth pop having a fairly good crack at things. Before anyone could say 'Whatever happened to disco?', House music popped up as the next thing around 85-86 in a mash up of soul/disco/funk and hip-hop and techno from Detroit arrived as house's harder brother in 87/88... and the rest is history. I have been hooked on house music in all its forms and all of the break-away styles from there...Acid House, Hip House Deep House, Tech House, Jazz House, Disco House, Trance, Techno, Drum & Bass, etc. As Altern 8 would say, I have 808 and 303 in my DNA.
dubsteez
it all started with that euro trash that used to play on friday and saturay nights on chicago radio. That eventually lead to more deep and progressive house, then eventually started listening LTJ Bukem and Dj zinc. With that dubstep took over
darth
i didn't get into electronica......

..... it got into me. tongue.gif
TERRY
it all started for me back in 1996 collecting german and duth klub house vinyl as i loved the music and wanted my own copies it then progressed to me getting decks and the rest is history
klownikus
My first experience with electronic music was probably DEVO in the eighties, but my first exposure to what I guess would be called the genre of electronic would be the Orb in the mid 90's. Little Fluffy Clouds......
mptreta
I got into eletronic music with drum and bass listening to marky and fernanda porto during the carnaval many years ago... =]
nowadays is techno, progressive, ambient dubstep and so on...
STOPTHEV1OLENCE
i started with
techno->shrantz->trance->electro->hardcore->hardstyle-> DNB!!!

pretty much in love with all of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.