Collapse
Torrentech Radio is currently offline.
The radio is currently offline · Next Scheduled Set: Today, 14:30 » l33z3r (Tech House, Techno)
Schedule · DJ-s · Stats

> How much does bitrate really affect sound quality? 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Offlinerevolution27
post 18. Aug 2008, 05:53
Post #1

n00b

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,851

I've been wondering how much bitrate really affects sound quality and what other factors can affect the sound quality of an audio file.. I noticed this when I downloaded listening to the Burial song Ghost Hardware... After downloading a 320kbps mp3 version of the file from TT, I noticed that I seemed to sound worse than the 256kbps AAC version I had previously downloaded from iTunes. I wondered if this was because the mp3 was somehow softer then the AAC but after lowering the volume of the AAC and raising that of the mp3 I still found the AAC sounded more crisp.

Does this mean that AAC has better compression than Mp3? What other factors could affect the sound quality of an audio file? Or are my shitty ears just lying to me?
+Quote Post
Offlineavatar_karma
post 18. Aug 2008, 07:26
Post #2

#1 Flac Whore

Member No.: 25,464

maybe the .mp3 was a transcode? maybe it was a bad encoder? maybe your ears were lieing to u?
maybe your smoking crack? someone will correct me if im wrong, but i think AAC is meant to be a more advanced encoder, but in practice mp3 matches it in quality.
+Quote Post
OfflineDubTings
post 18. Aug 2008, 08:49
Post #3

n00b

Member No.: 37,075

I;m not completely clued up about this however I think you might find this interesting:
http://www.fliptech.net/bitrate.shtml
+Quote Post
OfflineRoll
post 18. Aug 2008, 09:17
Post #4

Freek

Member No.: 25,535

AAC is supposed to be the codec with a more efficient bitrate to file size ratio. So a 256kbps AAC file should be roughly equivalent to a 320kbps MP3 file. At those bitrates, you really shouldn't be hearing any loss/difference in either track.. so I'm guessing the 320kbps you downloaded was actually a lower bitrate copied/ripped into a bigger file.
+Quote Post
OfflineGlitchwerks
post 18. Aug 2008, 21:55
Post #5

Playing you off, dubstyle!

Member No.: 5,360

Because the Ghost Hardware EP released here was probably sourced from vinyl and the iTunes download is not, obviously. Even the best vinyl rips will never sound as good as music that's had a purely digital life. The exceptions being that you can rip vinyl at 24 bit 96 khz FLAC and then it would sound a bit better than plain old 16 bit 44 khz, but the imperfections of vinyl are obvious the second you hear that old familiar crackle. Of course, owning the actual vinyl is still superior to all formats out there in terms of warmth and vibrancy. The surface noise is inconsequential to those benefits.

Good vinyl rips will usually tell you the "lineage" of the files, stating the turntable model and tone arm used, the input card, the software used to record, etc. Scene groups typically don't do that, only the audiophiles out there who specialize in that sort of thing.
This post has been edited by Glitchwerks: 18. Aug 2008, 22:07
+Quote Post
*Phloam_*
post 19. Aug 2008, 01:19
Post #6

Guests

The aim of the game is not to "sound better" - but to be indistinguishable from the uncompressed source file. Both MP3 and AAC at high enough bitrates are capable of this. Quality of decoders (and DAC etc etc) can be just as important as quality of encoder & codec.

If a 320 kbps mp3 sounds bad, there's something dodgy going on somewhere, assuming it was encoded sensibly (bitrate isnt everything).

Best thing to do is conduct your own tests, pick a track you know well & have the original CD of, then get it ripped into MP3 and AAC at a few different bitrates and see what the differences are.
+Quote Post
Offlineavatar_karma
post 19. Aug 2008, 14:45
Post #7

#1 Flac Whore

Member No.: 25,464

QUOTE (Phloam_ @ 19. Aug 2008, 10:19) *
Best thing to do is conduct your own tests, pick a track you know well & have the original CD of, then get it ripped into MP3 and AAC at a few different bitrates and see what the differences are.

what he said smile.gif
+Quote Post
Offlinerevolution27
post 19. Aug 2008, 17:47
Post #8

n00b

Member No.: 36,851

QUOTE (Glitchwerks @ 18. Aug 2008, 22:55) *
Because the Ghost Hardware EP released here was probably sourced from vinyl and the iTunes download is not, obviously. Even the best vinyl rips will never sound as good as music that's had a purely digital life. The exceptions being that you can rip vinyl at 24 bit 96 khz FLAC and then it would sound a bit better than plain old 16 bit 44 khz, but the imperfections of vinyl are obvious the second you hear that old familiar crackle. Of course, owning the actual vinyl is still superior to all formats out there in terms of warmth and vibrancy. The surface noise is inconsequential to those benefits.

Good vinyl rips will usually tell you the "lineage" of the files, stating the turntable model and tone arm used, the input card, the software used to record, etc. Scene groups typically don't do that, only the audiophiles out there who specialize in that sort of thing.

Oh right.. I didn't think about that. Makes sense to me though.
+Quote Post
*electronix*
post 20. Aug 2008, 12:38
Post #9

Guests

The best way to know is to use software like Adobe Audition to make a spectral analysis of a track.

The higher the frequencies on the spectral the better the quality.

When I have enough time I'll make a little guide on checking the quality of mp3s using spectral analysis and put it on the forums.
+Quote Post
*Phloam_*
post 24. Aug 2008, 10:50
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (electronix @ 20. Aug 2008, 12:38) *
The best way to know is to use software like Adobe Audition to make a spectral analysis of a track.

When I have enough time I'll make a little guide on checking the quality of mp3s using spectral analysis and put it on the forums.

Absoloute bollocks.
+Quote Post
*electronix*
post 25. Aug 2008, 11:14
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Phloam_ @ 24. Aug 2008, 19:20) *
QUOTE (electronix @ 20. Aug 2008, 12:38) *

Absoloute bollocks.

What about spectral analysis is bollocks?

It shows the actual quality of digital media even if the mp3 is transcoded. Its used to check for quality on most good private sites such as waffles.

Obviously if you think its bollocks you have either never used it or dont know aht im talking bout.
+Quote Post
Offlinejah
post 29. Aug 2008, 06:42
Post #12

n00b

Member No.: 28,469

yeah its all about the source,

cant polish a turd you know...
+Quote Post
OfflineDjSoul
post 29. Sep 2008, 01:57
Post #13

Not held responsible for blown speakers or impregnated girls.

Group: VIPs
Member No.: 14,468

All good info here. It is true AAC is more advanced codec than mp3 but mp3 has been around longer, hence why it is still used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression_(data)

So many factors come into play. From the source, to the coder, to the format choice. They all affect the outcome. Plus some tracks have been converted back and forth, bach and forth, each time losing more data, and u can never tell if that has happened.

Frankly I'm getting sick of mp3's personally as i've found many 320's that sound like a 96 mp3. So now i try and get FLAC, Wav/Aiff, or Vinyl and convert myself if needed. This has turned out to be a much better way to go for my collection, as I'm some what a audiophile at heart, and If it takes up way more of my HD i don't care, besides HD's are so cheap now a days. If i never have to DL another mp3 i will be stoked.
+Quote Post
OfflineBDY
post 29. Sep 2008, 10:10
Post #14

n00b

Group: Low Ratio Members
Member No.: 38,126

higher frequencies shown by a spectral analyzer doesnt equal quality just means theres high frequencies in the track surely?
+Quote Post
OfflineJurgenW
post 04. Oct 2008, 19:10
Post #15

Nice guy?

Member No.: 28,311

Looking at the spectral frequencies would only help if you had a picture of the spectral frequencies of the master. And even then, a human would not be able to see the difference unless specific frequency bands had been cut out.
But maybe whoever said this knows something I dont.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse

> Similar Topics in This Forum

Topic S L C Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Soundcloud Alternatives
preferably anything without "cloud" in the name
8 Slankoe 1,159 11.06.2014 - 17:10
Last post by: tlo
No New Posts does anyone have any of the 14 Track Selections..?
3 ibby-90 1,197 29.09.2010 - 15:35
Last post by: Flint Eastwood
No new does anyone even still like Rusko or Caspa?
or Skream for that matter?
74 NexusMusic 20,860 14.06.2010 - 16:29
Last post by: CDM
No New Posts Does anyone here like UK Hard House?
6 Hector 2,225 07.10.2009 - 20:32
Last post by: badegg666
No New Posts sounds of the future
12 nyod 3,639 20.07.2009 - 21:46
Last post by: aacb

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23.08.2014 - 14:21