Collapse
Torrentech Radio is currently offline.
The radio is currently offline · No scheduled sets...
Schedule · DJ-s · Stats

> New mixer 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
OfflineNocturnal
post 12. Feb 2012, 10:29
Post #1

Freek

Group: Members
Member No.: 66,049

Hi,

Need help with choosing new mixer. What I need is this:

- great sound quality
- great build quality (built to last)
- 3 or 4 channels if possible
- nice EQ section and quality faders
- cheapest as possible with these features

What I dont need:

- FX
- sampler
- MIDI capability
- bells and whistles

My ideal mixer would be A&H XOne 42 but its out of my price range so I have narrowed it down to these 2 basically:

A&H Xone:22
Vestax PMC-280

PMC280 has 4 channels, but I read some bad stuff about it, primarily about a lot of background noise, bleeding channels , bad channel meters and so on. Anyone owns this mixer to give me opinion from first hand ?

Second option is to go for XOne:22 but only 2 channels are putting me away as I might go with 3 decks soon enough.

Help is appreciated.
+Quote Post
Offlinejunkie-onahi
post 12. Feb 2012, 18:15
Post #2

hobo

Member No.: 35,967

Xone all the way mate .

i have a Xone 62. and glad i went with allen and heath .

ive played on several mates pioneers and i really dont like them at all,
as you say its all buttons and knobs for FXs and "whistles & bells" .

Xones are built very well, last a life time. the sound quality is very very impressive .
doubled with 4 band EQ and a sexy filter for each channel its all youll need or want .

+Quote Post
Offlineflipflopflump
post 12. Feb 2012, 18:47
Post #3

Girl i'll trump you

Group: VIPs
Member No.: 38,261

Well in all honesty mate, you're going to be hard pressed to get a long lasting, great sounding mixer for cheap.

Cheap mixers are cheap becuase they're.... well... cheap.

The Xone:22 is ok. It's got what you require (besides the 4 channels) sans the great sound quality. The 22 does not sound like a 92. And for good reason. Because it's built with cheaper parts. Plus only has unbalanced outs, so If you ever take it to play out anywhere, you have a pretty dodgy output.

I think you should save up a bit more, and for a bit longer, and go with an Ecler. The Nuo 3.0 has everything you want. Great build quality. Great sound. Wicked layout with good pots and nice big knobs in the EQ section. The faders a slick and very responsive. And the price is very good for what you're getting. Plus it has balanced XLR outs, for maximum quality when playing live. I had a Nuo 2.0 and it was a very good mixer. Only got rid of it cause I stepped up to a DJM800. Check it out...

http://www.djdeals.co.uk/prod-details.asp?AID=637

Scratchworx review ----> http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/nuo3_0.php

IMO it's always better to save longer and more to get a better product. A cheap mixer will be the mixer of now, but I guarantee it won't be the mixer of years from now.

Pay more = Get more, Get better, Get longer

Pay less = Get shit

Period.
+Quote Post
OfflineLoneStar
post 12. Feb 2012, 18:57
Post #4

Robotroll

Member No.: 59,410

Buy used, pay less, get better, get longer biggrin.gif

(Oh and for the record, a Xone 22 does perfectly have balanced outputs, just look closer)

How about one of these?

Evidently built to last. Mine (PMC-270A) is over 10 years old and has no defects whatsoever.
They go for around 120-200 Euro.
+Quote Post
Offlineflipflopflump
post 12. Feb 2012, 19:04
Post #5

Girl i'll trump you

QUOTE (LoneStar @ 12. Feb 2012, 09:57) *
(Oh and for the record, a Xone 22 does perfectly have balanced outputs, just look closer)

Well I'll be. I must be thinking of a different mixer.

And I agree with the rec of finding a used PVC 275. That is one of the best mixers ever made. My buddy had one and I absolutely loved playing on it. Great feel. Perfect layout. Great quality. Vestax should still build those.
+Quote Post
Offlineviraltech
post 13. Feb 2012, 04:40
Post #6

i once i once i once......

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 59,334

icb if you are in US . i sell all those mixers. holla
(except vestax) llooll
+Quote Post
OfflineDJCM
post 13. Feb 2012, 09:16
Post #7

I dont do coding.....

Member No.: 28,824

I also have a Vestax pmc 270a and have had it for 15 years - not even had to change the cross fader. I also have an ecler concept 3 that is about 10 years old, but imo Vestax component quality is very hard to beat.

I would suggest looking at second hand vestax PMC models (as lonestar says) there is loads on ebay
+Quote Post
Offlineindica
post 13. Feb 2012, 09:31
Post #8

drunken fool

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 27,211

QUOTE (DJCM @ 13. Feb 2012, 18:16) *
there is loads on ebay

there are loads on ebay.
+Quote Post
OfflineNocturnal
post 13. Feb 2012, 17:51
Post #9

Freek

Thanks for reply guys. Ye xone:22 has XLR balanced outputs which is nice. Ecler I would love the most but I can\'t get it here in Bosnia. Also no Denon mixers here and no Vestax (new ones).

http://www.skratchworx.com/images/Vestax/p.../pmc280-top.jpg

I managed to get hold of this PMC-280 used and very cheap (cheaper then new xone:22) so I\'m gonna take a look tomorrow. Thats why I asked if anyone ever played on one, needed to know what to look for. Second option for me is to buy new xone:22 which is decent mixer but I thought to get at least 3 channel mixer as I might started mixing with 3 decks. Not so many 3 channel mixers today if I put Empath to the side and its too expensive for me anyway.
+Quote Post
OfflineDJCM
post 13. Feb 2012, 18:24
Post #10

I dont do coding.....

QUOTE (indica @ 13. Feb 2012, 09:31) *
QUOTE (DJCM @ 13. Feb 2012, 18:16) *
there is loads on ebay

there are loads on ebay.

jeebus.... got the grammar police hat on today then? wink.gif

QUOTE (icb @ 13. Feb 2012, 17:51) *
Thanks for reply guys. Ye xone:22 has XLR balanced outputs which is nice. Ecler I would love the most but I can\'t get it here in Bosnia. Also no Denon mixers here and no Vestax (new ones).

http://www.skratchworx.com/images/Vestax/p.../pmc280-top.jpg

I managed to get hold of this PMC-280 used and very cheap (cheaper then new xone:22) so I\'m gonna take a look tomorrow. Thats why I asked if anyone ever played on one, needed to know what to look for. Second option for me is to buy new xone:22 which is decent mixer but I thought to get at least 3 channel mixer as I might started mixing with 3 decks. Not so many 3 channel mixers today if I put Empath to the side and its too expensive for me anyway.

The pmc-280 is a nice peice of kit actually... just remember to check how many people have owned it and the history - if its been used at home or in a club smile.gif check that x-fade and the buttons to the right hand side too smile.gif

Good luck!

+Quote Post
OfflineNocturnal
post 14. Feb 2012, 19:55
Post #11

Freek

ok, tested PMC-280 today. Crossfader don't work at all (bleeding all the way). Now I don't actually use x-fader but its kinda lame to give money for something broken. All other stuff seem to be ok. A lot of background noise when all 4 channels open but expected from Vestax as I heard. Faders are really nice and smooth (but not too smooth and I like it; very nice for me, I don't like completely easy faders), knobs little more stiff then expected but very nice EQ section.

Not sure what to do. I'm more leaning towards Xone:22 new then this used PMC-280. Afraid I might find something else not working on it.

The point is I have to decide by tomorrow as I can get Xone :22 with better price but only tomorrow......

Is Kore Zero 4 good mixer? I can also get good price on it as its last one in the shop...
+Quote Post
Offlineflipflopflump
post 14. Feb 2012, 20:29
Post #12

Girl i'll trump you

QUOTE (icb @ 14. Feb 2012, 10:55) *
ok, tested PMC-280 today. Crossfader don't work at all (bleeding all the way). Now I don't actually use x-fader but its kinda lame to give money for something broken. All other stuff seem to be ok. A lot of background noise when all 4 channels open but expected from Vestax as I heard. Faders are really nice and smooth (but not too smooth and I like it; very nice for me, I don't like completely easy faders), knobs little more stiff then expected but very nice EQ section.

Not sure what to do. I'm more leaning towards Xone:22 new then this used PMC-280. Afraid I might find something else not working on it.

The point is I have to decide by tomorrow as I can get Xone :22 with better price but only tomorrow......

Is Kore Zero 4 good mixer? I can also get good price on it as its last one in the shop...

I've played on a Zero 8. It's a cool concept mixer and neat if you are going to be using it as a production tool as well, but I think it is moving away form your original wishes. It's got more bells and whistles than most mixers and it's super cramped feeling. All in all I wasn't crazy about it.

Sounds like you have some tough choices ahead.
+Quote Post
OfflineLoneStar
post 14. Feb 2012, 20:29
Post #13

Robotroll

Member No.: 59,410

icb, now you know why you got it for very cheap. It's broken! biggrin.gif Give it back and get your money back.
+Quote Post
OfflineDJCM
post 14. Feb 2012, 20:30
Post #14

I dont do coding.....

I used to get good feed back from customers who bought the zero 4.... good quality, well made and does a whole lot for what you pay for.
I personally did not like the feel of it - I found the xfade and level gagues too stiff and heavy handed.
+Quote Post
Offlinejunkie-onahi
post 14. Feb 2012, 20:54
Post #15

hobo

Member No.: 35,967

pic up the zone22 . simple . you wont regret it one bit fella
+Quote Post
OfflineNocturnal
post 15. Feb 2012, 10:28
Post #16

Freek

Ok, I have found some other mixer that might have exactly what I need and is not so much expensive. It's Denon DN-X1100. Awesome inputs and outputs, quality sound and built (according to other ppl), don't have any fx or samplers but I don't need those anyway. And it's 4 channel.

What do you think about it ?

http://www.derringers.com.au/product_image..._15786_zoom.jpg
+Quote Post
Offlineflipflopflump
post 15. Feb 2012, 10:42
Post #17

Girl i'll trump you

QUOTE (icb @ 15. Feb 2012, 02:28) *
Ok, I have found some other mixer that might have exactly what I need and is not so much expensive. It's Denon DN-X1100. Awesome inputs and outputs, quality sound and built (according to other ppl), don't have any fx or samplers but I don't need those anyway. And it's 4 channel.

What do you think about it ?

http://www.derringers.com.au/product_image..._15786_zoom.jpg

I'm not very familiar with Denon mixers as far as longevity, but they do make good CDJs, dual decks and headphones so I would assume the quality of their mixers would be good. Plus it has that classic Pioneer DJM style layout which is nice. Not cramped and very nice flow to it.

Looks like it's you best bet out of the mixers you have to choose from.
+Quote Post
OfflineNocturnal
post 01. Mar 2012, 19:09
Post #18

Freek

ok, if anyone is interested, I bought Denon DN-X1100 in the end smile.gif

I'm very much satisfied with it, seems like an awesome mixer! Long 60mm faders, rubberized pots, matrix input, awesome sound and hopefully build quality (we will see about that, seems solid on first look).

Anyone got any questions about it Im willing to answer. Definitely one of better mixers I tried/played on. Prolly in the range of Xone:42 mixer (what I first wanted), but a lot cheaper.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Collapse

> Similar Topics in This Forum

Topic S L C Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Mixer recommned for Tech, Techhouse, Prog
Help
1 mtmcgill 980 26.11.2010 - 10:52
Last post by: brass455

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22.11.2014 - 03:41